Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When is the worst time to travel in Europe?

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

I am planning to go to Europe this year... preferbly August, for one month. The plan is to fly into Amsterdam and travel via train, possibly renting a car occasionaly. I've been told that July and August are very busy as most of Europe is also vacationing then... is this true? Also, I am on a very tight budget and looking to stay in hostels most of the time. Are there cheaper lodgings than hostels? I have not yet finalized an itinerary.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Depending on exactly where you go, some places are closed in August because many Europeans take their vacations in August. Also, depending where you go, it can be extremely warm so make sure that you have A/C in your hotel. Many Americans travel during this time so you may have excessive crowds. You might find that early spring or late fall is better.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:12 AM

Speaking for France (and you can extrapolate), people often take the month of Augsut off for holidays, so a number of restaurants and businesses will be closed. There are also horror stories of multi-multi mile long traffic jams. And, in general, people from the northern hemisphere would be more tempted to travel in those months due to school being out, weather is warm.etc..I've been to Europe in those months, and it is busier. Hotels/flights are harder to come by. But if that is your only time, book early and you'll be fine.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:17 AM

August is probably the worst month if you have a choice. The highest airfares, HOT/uncomfortable weather, HUGE crowds most places because it seems the entire continent is on holiday at the same time, a lot of places in Italy/France etc are closed (that isn't a problem in the UK or most of northern Europe).

Even early July would be 100% better in terms of crowds, heat, airfares etc . . . . . .
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Everything everyone has so far said is true - if you had to pick a worst month then August would be it. HOWEVER, there's no reason why you can't travel in August and still have a great time. Weather is great (if you like hot), there's a part atmosphere as, let's face it, everyone loves high summer and school is out. If you can only do August, then go.

Cheaper than hostels? Not really, you can take a tent but when I backpacked round Europe as a student (in August!) I found most camp sites are way out of town which involved taking taxi and thuss defeating the object of saving money. How about hiring a camper van?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Yes, a lot of people will be on holiday but guess what...they'll be on holiday the same places you're going to be and those people all have to eat and stay somewhere.

So, a lot of places will also be very much open for business.

My advice would be try to finalize an itinerary as soon as possible and make reservations wherever possible and do it now.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Most of my Europe trips have been in July and August. It was lovely.

Are you traveling alone or with someone? I ask that because a bunk in a hostel is likely the cheapest for 1 person, but if you are 2 people traveling together then sometimes sharing a room at an inexpensive B&B, hotel, pensione may be comparably priced. Apartments are another options depending on how long you will be in each place.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:55 AM

August is a good time to visit Germany. Chances for nice and warm weather, not so much traffic, beergardens...
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 02:07 AM

Easter for big cities.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 02:14 AM

I don't think any month is really bad, as various things compensate each other. January has bad weather, but you have many places to yourself, January sales, maybe some pretty snow... August has heat and crowds but also a lot of festivals, long summer nights, outdoor concerts...
The other months have other pros and cons.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 03:58 AM
ira

Hi L,

>When is the worst time to travel in Europe?...I am planning to go to Europe this year... preferbly August,...<

You've answered your question.

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 04:13 AM

August is perfectly fine for Amsterdam. In fact, it's a lovely time to visit. I don't know what the rest of your itinerary is, but August in northern Europe should be wonderful, barring an unprecedented heat wave.

In my opinion, August is not so great if you want to visit southern European cities, particularly if you don't stay in places with great air conditioning, but others disagree even with that.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:18 AM

August is a good month to visit Ireland but note it costs more in July and August than any other month.There are only 6 million tourists in a year so except for places like Killarney and Dingle as well as events like racehorse meetings traffic is not bad and driving in Dublin is much better.I met an Italian lady in Dublin last August who told me she goes to Ireland at that time every year to get away from the Italian heat. Average Irish temperature in August is in the 60sF with occasional days in the 70s.Irish summer temperatures are on average 3 degreesF lower than in San Francisco and 10 degrees lower in winter.