CDG-Terminal Transfer Info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're scheduled to arrive at CDG, Terminal 2E, on an AF flight from the US. We then have to transfer to Terminal 2F for our flight on Austrian Air, operated by AF, to Vienna. Our itinerary is all on one ticket so our luggage will be checked through.

Our concern: we have a very, very short connection time. . .55 minutes. (Thanks to a travel agent!) Our questions are: 1) Will we go through immigration in Paris CDG, or upon our arrival in Vienna? and 2) what is the quickest way to get from Terminal 2E to 2F? Approximately how long will it take to walk? Or is it advisable to take the shuttle? We've looked online at former posts, and at the airport maps, but did not find adequate answers to our situation.

We'd appreciate any info on this transfer from 2E to 2F. Kerouac, if you see this, we'd value your suggestions.

Thanks to all!
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 09:53 AM

My understanding is that since you are transferring from one Schengen country and flying to another country within Schengen, you will go through customs in Vienna not at CDG, but others here might want to confirm this since I rarely transfer anymore, going in and out of Bordeaux rather than CDG.

In terms of the terminals, you are in luck-they are really close, so that will help. Here is a link that shows walking transit times. 5 minutes walk according to them, which in my memory is about right:

http://easycdg.com/airport-guide/tra...ot-terminal-2/
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 10:10 AM

"you will go through customs in Vienna not at CDG, 2"

Well, sort of. But no-one in Europe ever goes through Customs - a steam-age procedure best left to technologically backward societies, or those so oppressed by government bureaucrats they don't mind if they're paying for even more useless officials.

The issue is going through immigration. Which in Schengen happens at the first Schengen border a traveller encounters.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 10:20 AM

I don't know why so many people talk about going through customs in Europe, rather than immigration, upon arrival. It is odd. The OP didn't even ask about going through customs.

it would be like a foreigner arriving in the US at JFK and transferring to Miami. They can't do that without going through Immigration in New York, the first point of their entry to the US.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 10:26 AM

Good luck at CDG. After our last transfer there, where we were led astray at least twice by misinformation, and almost missed our flight, my husband refuses to transfer there any more.

I think the shuttle is your best choice, though. If you miss the connection, they should just put you on the next flight, so it's not the end of the world.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 11:31 AM

First thing you need to realized is that the terminal 2E is not just one entity. It consists of 2E hall K, 2E hall L, and 2E hall M. Depending on which hall you arrive, which you would not know for sure until the plane lands and taxies to the terminal, the "2E" to 2F transfer involves three(!) different ways. None involve "shuttle".

Look at the map:
http://easycdg.com/passenger-informa...o-terminal-2f/

All three method involve going thru then passport control then the carry-on security check.

From Hall K, it is a few minutes underground walk to F on well signed passage.

From Hall L, you can walk directly to 2F.

From Hall M, you take a people mover to Hall K, then follow the Hall K to 2F procedure.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 12:33 PM

Customs to many means a generic of 'clearing customs' - that's immigration and baggage scruitny and anyone who said there are no Customs (H.M.) going into England should seen what some profiles have to go thru - more than just flashing a document - Britain has about the toughest Customs anywhere - much of it unseen perhaps.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 12:40 PM

You are entering Schengen at CDG and that is where you will go through immigration. And IMHO 55 minutes is way too short to be comfortable. If you flight is early (often happens from the US due to tailwinds) and you are before many other flights it might not be too bad.

If your plane is at all late and there are a bunch of people from other flights in Immigration making the ongoing flight will be definitely risky - since plane door closes at least 20 minutes before "departure" often.

For the best chance to make it sit as far forward as possible in the plane, get off briskly and trot if you can with carry-on - to Immigration (some people from your plane will be running) so as not to be behind several hundred others.

Also, know the options for the next flights - in case you don't make the one on your ticket - so you can tell the agent which flights you want. And note they have to put you on the next AVAILABLE flight - if the next 3 flights are full you are at the back of the line.

But if it were me I would change the ongoing flight now.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Are you familiar with CDG? We were just there in June and maybe it is me, but it is the most difficult to navigate airport that I know…….that would never be enough time for us, but if you already know the airport, that may make a big difference.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 03:53 PM

greg's instructions are correct. The fastest way is to walk. Only if you arrive at the M gates of 2E would you need to take a quick train and then walk. You will go through passport control (immigration) as well as security at CDG. Customs for your checked bags is technically in Vienna but is a non-event. I've made several connections of less than an hour at CDG. Just don't dawdle.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 04:44 PM

Did you have to use a TA and did you have to take this tight connection at CDG? If your plane cannot get a gate on arrival and need to park on a tarmac, you would unlikely to make the connection.
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your helpful info. We did book Premium Economy seats, so that should put us toward the front of the plane. We suspicioned that we would have to go through immigration at CDG, and were confirmed in that. Greg's description of the halls in Terminal 2E brought more clarification of the maps. We will try to be in hustle mode upon deplaning and hope for the best.

This is a "live and learn" experience for us, having previously booked all of our own travel. In the future, we will return to that method.

Thanks again everyone!