Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Connecting through CDG...customs/immigration question

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I have traveled to Europe several times I have always made my connecting flights stateside and land in Europe at my final destination.

This April I will be flying into Paris (CDG) and connecting to a flight to Naples, Italy. I have a 3 hour layover and based on information I've gathered here on Fodors I think that should be sufficient time to get the connecting flight to Naples (if the flight into Paris is on time!)

My question is this...when I land in Paris will I go through customs/immmigration/passport control in Paris or will I go through customs/immigration/ passport control in Naples.

I will be flying Delta Airlines into Paris and flying AirFrance to Naples.

Any helpful hints are much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM

You should be going through customs and immigration at CDG.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM

If this is all on one ticket - which it almost certainly is - you do NOT go through Customs in Paris.

Bags are through checked from whatever you start to Naples. You collect the bags at Naples, where - if they had nothing else to do with their time - the Customs officials would notice they had originated outside the EU and still ignore them.

For through checked passengeers, the universal rule in the EU is:

1. All bags are through checked to their final destination, where Customs inspection would happen only it never does.
2. If your final and intermediate stops are both/all in Schengen, you go through Immigration at your first port of call
3. If you're transitting in Schengen to a non-Schengen destination, or at a non-Schengen airport to a Schengen destination, you go through Immigration when you arrive at the Common Travel area you're going to be staying in.

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 12:02 AM

From my experience it al depends on which gate they bus you to or land at.

DO NOT follow the crowd through immigration until you have deciphered if there is an internal bus elsewhere (down some steps.. or off in one direction perhaps), with a "tranfers/correspondence " sign.

You should know your terminal and someone landside can help.

However, I HAVE been shuffled directly into a passport control when deplaning.

This is what makes CDG confusing for many, ( besides the fact the small "elegant" gray signage blends into the atmosphere and low lighting) as I do believe a lot of the ease of transfer depends on where you have been let out.

Oh, and another tip.
An arrow pointing DOWN does not necessarily mean to descend the steps that are practically under it.. but to continue STRAIGHT!!
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 03:48 AM

What Lin said. Every time I've transferred through CDG its been different.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the information.

I will make sure I know my arrival gate and the Naples departure gate, unless of course that changes, which I know can happen. I will keep my eyes open (well, as open as they can be after an overnight flight!) for the transfer/correspondence signs and if I do go through immgration I'm pretty sure with 3 hours I will be ok on getting the connection.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Your Delta flight will land at Terminal 2 and your AF flight will also depart from the same terminal. But you have to get one from area to another, most likely 2E to 2F, but can change. Other than immigration (passport control), there will also be security (no liquid over 100cc allowed).
So when you get off your Delta flight, and you already have a boarding pass for your AF flight, confirm which section of the terminal you have to get to on the electronic display, even if it's printed on your pass (terminal and gate changes are common). If it's 2F, your flight will leave from the Schengen zone gates F21 to F36. As stated, look out for 'flight connections/correspondances' sign, which leads to an airside transfer bus which makes stop at all areas. First you go through passport control, as you are now entering Schengen zone, and then security. You then wait at the departure lounge until your flight is called at the gate. Your luggage is through checked to Naples, where you collect and go through almost non-existent customs.
There is also a walkway (connecting gallery) through the public area between 2E and 2F. For this you have to go though passport control at 2E (to enter France/Schengen), walk through customs and gallery and then go through security at 2F for your Naples flight.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2051654/Pa...portCDG2EFPlan