Going thru customs in Munich?

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going thru customs in Munich?

Hi everyone...planning trip to Italy in the Almalfi region so thought about flying into Naples from Newark Airport but United Airlines connects in Munich, Germany. Do we have to go thru customs while in Munich if just connecting?
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 04:33 PM

No - but you will have to go through Immigration - sine this is where you are entering Schengen. And while Customs takes only a minute or two, Immigration can take a while, depending on how many planes land at once. I believe you will also need to go through security again.

How much time do you have between flights?
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 04:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
nytraveler is correct . . . and you are likely confusing 'Customs' w/ Immigration (passport control)

You will clear Immigration in Munich and Customs in Naples.

If this is one booking don't worry. Just check your bags through to Naples.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you sre only going through Immigration what need would there be to go through security again since you haven't had access to your luggage?
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:40 PM

Tjat's tje wau ot os om ,pst aor[prts throughout the world today. Arrivals from ouside Schengen to first Schengen stop can be from the USA, can be from Canada, can be from the UK all places which do a relatively good job screening passengers. They could also be from Third World countries which might not do such a hot job (no need to name them). Therefore rather than trying to separate incoming passengers from haves and have nots or call it whatever you want, all ariving passengers that go through immigratin controls into an airport concourse are generallly secured again as in a way they are now becoming domestic passengers (no further immigration checks).

Now on the return trip, assuming it is the same itinerary, you will not go through an immigration check in Naples as the first flight will be intra Schengen, there will be security of course and at Munich you will go through passport control exiting Schengen, an airport security check and an additional security check as required by the paranoids running the American government which ight include random baggage checks at boarding points which are usually not so random. Many of the airports in Europe have put US bound flights at the farhest reaches of the terminals for he extra security checks required by the US government.

As far as "customs" is concerned. In most cases as an arriving non resident custom regulations are liberal although there are limits on the amount of booze and cancer sticks (cigarettes) you can bring in. Usually your "customs" will be choosing to go through the lane marked Nothing to declare or the green channel although random checks are made but usually, they are more interested in returning residents bringing back cheaper goods purchased abroad trying to avoid import duties. That is usually but not always where random checks are made.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 01:12 AM

Far fewer outside flights arriving in Munich than in FRA,LHR,or CDG. Thus a very good place to go through immigration.

The views of the Alps flying from Munich to Italy are spectacular.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! We have not yet booked our flights - the connection being a factor in my hesitating to book - so the other option was to fly into Rome and take the train into Naples. Is it worth going that route instead? Not sure which option would be the best.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM

I would go to Rome. Takes around 2 hrs to get from Rome FCO airport to the center of Naples with change to high speed train in Roma Tiburtina or Termini. To check schedules go to http://www.trenitalia.com click on "Tutti I Treni" (all trains), paste "Fiumicino Aeroporto" & "Napoli Centrale" into TO & FROM. Lots of choices & price options.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Sorry guys, another question regarding layovers....if traveling from Naples to JFK airport (NYC) do you think 1 hr. and 30 minute layover will be enough? Will we be able to check our luggage all the way thru?
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:05 PM

Lady Yogi.....you are flying from Naples to Munich and then on to JFK.....as noted Munich is not the busiest airport in the world as compared say to Frankfurt. You should be okay although remember you will have to exit Schengen in Munich and go through the bs security precautions that accompany all flights to the USA but everything else being equal, you should be fine if it is a legal connection.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:05 PM

Oh yes, you can check your baggage through to JFK.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
LadyYogi: You need to clarify your last question, or the answers might get pretty confusing.

Are you flying non-stop Naples to JFK and then on somewhere else in the US and are asking if you can check your bags to your final destination

- or -

are you flying from Naples, connecting somewhere in Europe and are asking if you can check your bags to JFK.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about that, yes I am looking at the return flight and there is a flight leaving from Naples with a connection in Frankfurt (change of planes) and then onto JFK. It is an hour, 30 min layover in Frankfurt. Yes, wondering if that layover was enough time to go through security checks or what have you, but it seems like it is from the previous posts. We were hoping we could just check our baggage through to JFK and not have to check them again on the flight from Frankfurt to JFK.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:28 AM

Yes, your luggage will be checked all the way through to JFK. You should have enough time to go through all the security but Frankfurt is a big spread out airport. However, I have always found there to be lots of agents directing you where to go so it isn't a problem.

My biggest "problem" was all the beautiful food for sale in the Naples airport once past security. They had coolers full of fresh buffalo mozzarella and all manner of other yummy things I couldn't take onto the plane. Waahh!!
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Ahhhhh!! Yes, that could definitely be a problem! I think we will just book flights tonight and hope for the best!. GRAZIE, GRAZIE, GRAZIE, to all!
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 02:47 PM

You will be fine, LadyYogi, have a wonderful trip!! I know you said you didn't want to eat cheese but that buffalo mozzarella may tempt you!
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

hahahaha...it just might! I'm sure I will be reaching out to you guys again as I start to plan all the other aspects of the trip. Until then!