Capri Hotels..Quisisana, La Minerva,???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying in Capri for the first time for two nights towards the end of the season in October. Budget is flexible, anything from about 250 Euro to 400 Euro per night, plus or minus. We can get a poolside room at the Grand Quisisana for about 340 E or a sea-view room at la Minerva for much less than that. Any thoughts on these two hotels or any others? We like nice hotels, though I have realized that I almost never use many of the services and amenities at large 5-star properties (I am not into spas, I don't sit by the pool, and in general would rather eat my meals away from the hotel, so hotel restaurants usually don't mattter...(though I do like room service occasionally)). Also, can anyone tell me how the locations of each of these hotels compare. Thanks.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:23 AM

I've stayed at the Quisisana but not at the Minerva. The location of the Quisisana is right in the middle of things. A short walk from the Piazzeta and in the center of the chic shopping street. The room was nice but not overly grand for a five star hotel. Since that first time, I haven't gone back but prefer to stay at the Brunella. Having a sea view room would be my preference.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 07:29 AM

We stayed several times at La Mamela and liked it very much - I would think you could get a nice seaview room there in October in your budget. We liked the location - a bit further from the piazzeta in the pedestirian only zone (therefore quieter) but still within easy walking distance. Nice big rooms and bathrooms, very helpful staff - enjoy your trip to Capri!
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM

At the end of October you might find it too chilly for pool or beach. And it does tend to be rainy that time of year - you weren't planning this as a beach vacation - were you?
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM
WG

we stayed at the hotel punta tragara - a beautiful hotel at the end of the via tragara (?), overlooking the faraglioni rocks...absolutely beautiful spot and superb hotel - we ate at villa brunella - excellent restaurant and seemed like a nice place to stay, also. quisisana is nice, filled with americans... another option is the smaller lovely discrete hotel scalintinella - after you hit quisana and keep walking down the main walking road - you pass each one of them, in succession.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:34 PM

Hotel Quisisana is nice and old-guard. It is a "bit" ragged at the edges for me though, ad some of the poolside rooms are not that private, and the pool not that great. The location is, as stated, right in the middle of things, and along the "Rodeo Drive" of Capri
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:38 PM

We stayed in the view rooms at La Minerva. The rooms are very nice, and it's in a quieter part of town. The owner gives helpful information. However, it's almost more like the atmosphere of a quiet b and b than a hotel.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

nytraveler: I am not a sit ont he beach or pool kind of person, so this is not an issue, and I actually enjoy cooler fall temperature; though hopefully it won't rain, I really can't control that.

WG: Both The Punta Tragara and The Scalinatella were recommended by a friend who has stayed at both. PT's prices are significantly higher than Quisisana or Scalinatella, to which I have emailed an availability request. I suspect we will end up at Quisisana or Scalinatella.