Hotel La Tosca on Capri

Search

Hotel La Tosca on Capri

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel La Tosca on Capri

Has anyone stayed here? It has great reviews on Trip Advisor...
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

just wondering...since its location is closer to the main square, and the weber ambassador is a ways away, if i should go for the la tosca. we'll be there for one night...
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Hi mnannie -- I have not stayed at either hotel, but I have just returned from a week in Capri (trip report forthcoming), and can perhaps assist with some comments on location.

We spent an afternoon at beautiful Marina Piccola, where the Weber is located -- while you would have a spectacular view of the water there, you would need to rely on the hotel shuttle, the bus, or a taxi (approx 10 euros) to take you up the long winding road to Capri town proper, which is where most of the restaurants, cafes, etc. are located. These are all very "do-able" options, and take less than 10 minutes, but in this sense many people might consider the location a disadvantage. On the other hand, you would have direct access to a swimming "beach" there.

While I do not remember LaTosca in particular, we did walk down the street on which it is located. It is a quiet residential street overlooking Gardens of Augustus and the grounds of the Hotel Luna, and beyond that the sea. I have to imagine that the view would also be spectacular from there. The Via Birago and the most obvious street leaving there, via Serena, both have moderate inclines, but were easily navigable by my boyfriend who walks with a cane, for example. (Other streets leading to the Via Birago are more steeply inclined, and require a bit more exertion, fyi, but were quite charming). This corner of the island seems tranquil, while still within a stone's throw of the hub-bub of the town center. (Caveat: we were there in off-season, so everything was a bit quieter than usual.)

In terms of which location is better, I think it depends on what you want to do while in Capri (and perhaps the time of year), given that you are only staying one night. If you would like to able to sunbathe near the water and swim, I'd go with the Weber. If your taste inclines more to "sightseeing" and meandering through town, then I think LaTosca would be much more convenient.

Good luck -- whichever you choose, do report back your experience!
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 04:35 AM

The first review posted for LaTosca on TripAdvisor is mine, and I am pleased to see that others have "discovered" this hotel as well. We were pleasantly surprised by our stay at this hotel, and I gave it five stars. But that was five stars for its category. It is important to understand what this hotel is and is not. It is a one star property. The rooms are decent, but very basic. The bathrooms are surprisingly nice and more upscale. All in all, the hotel is clean, fairly newly remodeled and in good condition. The rooms with a balcony are the only way to go. (We were first shown a room on the garden side, and I would not have been happy there.) Ours had a view of two of the Fariglioni and lovely views of the surrounding area. The location is terrific -- in a quiet area within 5-10 minutes of the main square. And, most of all, the owner and other staff are wonderful. However, when we left Capri for Sorrento and checked into our very nice 3-star hotel, it was as though we had checked into a palace in comparison with La Tosca. Before deciding on LaTosca, I researched almost every hotel on Capri and had also initially considered the Weber Ambassador. The location is not convenient, but the price for the luxury that was to be ours was quite tempting. Until I read some of the TripAdvisor reviews. I have not read any recent reviews, but urge you to do so before considering. Management seemed to be a problem at that hotel.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I've booked the la tosca, and requested a balcony room!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM

mnannie and others,

How did you like La Tosca? It does sound great on TripAdvisor. Do you agree that it would not be that great if the room does not have a view?

We could stay at La Tosca for 109 Euros (I don't know yet about the view), or at La Luna for what was going to be our big splurge at 285 Euros for a room with a sea view from the terrace. Big difference, but we could afford La Luna if it is worth it, as all of our other hotels are ending up being reasonably priced. We will only be there one night.

Thanks,

Len