Capri Hotel Choice

Search

Capri Hotel Choice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capri Hotel Choice

I cannot find my original post - yes, I searched by my name and it did not appear - but wanted to thank everyone who helped us decide - Patrick, Weadles and Ira especially - with our Capri hotel choice.

We are going late May of 2006, and were really struggling with picking the "right" place.

We have decided to spend 3 nights in Capri, to allow us time to relax and see what we want, and have reserved a Jr. Suite with full sea view at Flora, a property owned and run by the same family that owns Casa Morgano.

We are then off to an apartment in Positano for 7 nights through CV Travel in London. I'm hoping that they are as good as the agency we used in Venice - Venice_Rentals.com who we were very happy with.

In any case, we are very much looking forward to this trip, and will be posting later for restaurant recommendations, etc.

Thanks everyone again for your help. Now we just have to get the air transport squared away (another post). If you can help out, please let me know!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

http://www.venice-rentals.com/

Wrong link in my prior messages. Here's the info. if anyone wants it. Great agency.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Hi wanderer, I clicked on your name and saw your other posts. I wonder why that didn't work for you? Have a wonderful time on Capri, I know you will!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Wander,
I don't want to be a kill joy , but I think you can do beter then the Flora, it's a bit out dated and a little too close to the main square. Have you checked www.caprionline.it? I recommended la Mammela on your last post, wich seems to have disappeared.Not that I have any investment in you choosing that hotel.However I do think you can do better then the Flora. Check out Brunella, and la Minerva( does not have pool) the others do.
I'm just suggesting alternatives... you have time .. check it out.
Fluffy
ttt
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning fluffy. The hotel has been recently renovated and looks beautiful - see link below.

http://www.floracapri.com/

Several people told me this was a good location - right near Luna, and better location than Minerva.

Now I am totally confused.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 04:51 AM

For what its worth if you are so high on Casa Morgana property why not stay at the Casa Morgana on Capri? It's incredible and for the extra dough you really will be taking a step up from Flora. I understand if financially you can't do it but Capri is VERY expensive and if you plan on going there for a special occasion be prepared.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:30 AM

Fluffy, when did you stay at The Flora? Since it was closed for quite a few years and only reopened last year after years of remodeling, I'm really puzzled by your comment about it being outdated. Are you sure you're even thinking of the right place? What difference does it make that is "too close to the main square"? It totally faces towards the sea and there isn't a hint of noise from the piazetta when you're in the hotel or your room or on your balcony/terrace. I always thought convenience was a major factor, and to me the location of The Flora couldn't be better. Seems like you have an axe to grind or something to be saying such very strangely negative things about this hotel.

And I thought the recent reviews state that Hotel Flora is the "nicer" of the two --Morgana and Flora, especially as many of the rooms at the Flora have huge terraces and spectacular views. So, huh???
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:33 AM

Ooops. My apologies to OpusX, as I was confusing the Morgana with the Semiramus, which is also run by the same people and next door to the Flora. I'm not sure where the Morgana is or anything about it. Perhaps price was a determining feature? I do know that wanderer was trying to keep the final price down.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:45 AM

I think that if price is a consideration and you want to keep it under 300E Flora should be fine. I was under the impression that this was a special trip and only the best sea views would do.

Flora is far enough from the Piazetta for it not to be annoyed by hoards or toursits but it is still very close. If it's more secluded you want then I would probably consider another hotel.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Sometimes I think we all get carried away ( myself included!) with finding the "perfect" hotel. How many waking hours do you actually spend in your hotel room in Capri?

Anyway, I think Hotel Flora looks great on its new website, it's cheaper than some of the other hotels that Wanderer was checking out, and it has a very good location.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Dear wander,
Okay I apalogize it has been some time since I've been at the Flora, the web site looks wounderful.I personally like being a little further up the hill , its just a personal preferance.I can't remeber what the special occasion is, an anniversary? Capri is so romantic you will have a fabulous time.
Fluffy
p.s. The Casa Moragno is beautful , but much farther from the Flora, if you have issues walking it will probably be too much of a hike for you.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it will be our anniversary, but we are trying to keep price down. We want to have SOME money to do some things and shop!! So at 400E, the Morgano was not in our price range. Gotta set a limit somewhere.

Anyway, we were torn between Minerva and Flora. We settled on Flora because it seems the views might be better (Minerva said their sea views were obstructed by trees), and my husband wanted to be closer to town.

Who knows. I'm sure they both would be fine. p.s. we have no trouble with walking.

Would love to hear of anyone who has stayed at Flora recently. Only one review on tripadvisor, which was good, as all of Minervas are.

Thanks to all for your help.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Wander,
I think you made the right choice.The Minerva is a lovely hotel , but not a 4 star.It is a bit further up the hill then the Flora, but wihout a pool.
All and all I think you will be happy.Capri is magical no matter where you stay, and you'll be with your sweetie.
Many congrats on your anniversary.
Fluffy
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 04:47 PM

You must be daft to take hotel advice from the likes of Patrick or Ira. My Gucci, those two would direct you to a Red Roof Inn. Barbara Bush has better taste. I can just see the cockroaches climbing up your beadspread now.

The ONLY hotel on Capri worth staying at is Quisisana, even if you don't have Goyard luggage. It is soooo nice to walk into JP Tod's and say, "Darling, we have just flown in from St. Moritz, could you send over a few selections of your newest styles to our suite at Quisisana?" You can't say, ".....send over some styles to Casa Morgano....," that would be like saying, "....send some styles over to our SECTION 8 apartment."

Sometimes I wonder about some of you.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Oh well, we can't all be made of money.