Hotel Advice Needed for Capri, Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be spending 2 nights on the island of Capri later this summer. Our travel agent suggested the hotel Palatium Marina Grande. For those of you who have stayed on Capri, would you recommend a hotel near the marina or one in the town of Capri? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Z
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 10:09 PM

Capri for sure.
Punta Tragara (www.hoteltragara.com) if you can spring the $400. For a $200+ bargain Villa Sarah(no pool). Breakfasts included.
Tough reservation July-August.

Gary
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Ziba
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Ziba- Capri Town is a must, I like the hotel Mamela( 190 euro. w/out view 250 w/view) the hotel is in a great location, close enough to town, but far enough away, for quite and R &R.
There's also a nice pool check out www.caprionline.com for more info. about Capri, and a complete listing of hotels on Capri, including the Mamela, theres a link that concects you to the indivduale hotel sites.
la dolce Capri
Fluffy
ttt
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:38 PM

Yes, you'll enjoy staying in Capri town. We stayed at Casa Morgano and liked it.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 07:50 PM

I think a M. G. hotel seems such an absurd choice that it suggests your travel agent could be a fraud. I agree the area around Mamela is a sweet spot, but that person has recc'ed it dozens of times, making one wonder if a commission is involved. The smaller 3 star hotels are really the best; the 4 star are too massive to tuck into spots with the best views (I've scouted about all of them).
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:12 PM

We stayed at Mammela 2 years ago on the recommendation of our neighbor, a Capresi, and we loved it!!! Who knows who gets a kick back from recommendations, but if you stay there you will probably get as great a deal as we did -with or without recommendation-and it is truly a chic and lovely boutique hotel as you could find with the fabulous view of the bay and a pool.We find that recommendations for hotels, stc., are best from locals as you at least have someone to "feed back" to!(Chew out if there is a problem!!!) Stayed at the Quisisana years ago and don't need to pay those prices no matter what it offers as Capri is a place where you don't hang out at the hotel, but walk, enjoy, eat and shop!!!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 11:22 PM

I agree with viking that marina grande would be less desirable to stay at than Capri town or up higher at Anacapri, but it is still acceptable since it's a short funicular ride up to town and it is much closer to a beach...just not as desirable for an elevated, panoramic view.

But I seriously doubt if fluffy is a TA and gets commissions for recommending the Mamela. From all accounts, she enjoyed her stay there very much (as many others have) and would just like to see others share in that same wonderful experience...nothing wrong with that. In fact, many of us here are guilty of doing the same. She touts many excellent yet reasonable hotels from Rome to places I'm familiar with such as LA & Hawaii so I can vouch that she displays good taste rather than ulterior motives. I know that there's been some commercial posters here recently, they're easy enough to spot, but let's not turn on one another when a strong rec turns up because we're all just here to help each other out.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

dugi_otok-
Is the Punta Tragara Hotel within walking distance to the town of Capri? My Frommer's book mentions that this hotel is isolated. What are your thoughts?
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:11 PM

I think Punta Tragara has a fabulous location; isolated in a nice way. I haven't stepped in because it's so intimidating (has a sign that Eisenhower stayed there when he was in charge of WW2 allies).

The cool thing is it's at the end of one of the most level, widest, pedestrian friendly paths which not only has some of the best hotels, but is drop-dead gorgeous. So it's modestly far and isolated, but at the same time relatively easy and very scenic to walk to.

I don't know why I hear so rarely of this hotel and it's incredible views - you can see on the web it overlooks the rock arches where the boats go thru. Also it marks the start of one of the worlds great hiking paths that goes around the island overlooking stunning cliffs and mansions. There is a well known restaurant and beach club just below the hotel. Also many stairs at natural arch/far end of path... but I recently found a great bypass for those which is actually marked on good maps.

P.S. some have said how easy it is to commute the funicular from M.G. to Capri but recently they've started an ugly new system where you buy funicular or bus tix at a remote, disorganized booth with horrible lines which sometimes bump into vehicle lines for ferry. See if hotel offers shuttle for uphill portion of trip...
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 07:49 AM

Although I didn't stay there, I agree with viking that Punta Tragara appears to be a seemingly elegant hotel that is in a terrific location overlooking the Faraglioni Rocks; however, the price to pay for that locale is a long, uphill walk back to the town center of Capri. But it'd be worth the price for me. I think we in the US hear little about it because it seems to be one of those isolated gems that caters more to visiting Europeans, JMO.

The scenic hike that winds above and along the SE coast of Capri is very worthwhile, but I would recommend starting it from the northern end (opposite of the Punta Tragara). It's much easier to walk down hundreds of steps than it is to climb them. You'll know what I mean if you pursue this venture.

True, you don't buy the funicular ride tickets at the entrance but rather at a wholly separate ticket booth at the crowded marina, where there's people also purchasing ferry tickets. But it isn't so bad. The booth is only 25 yards from the funicular (to the left if you're facing the marina from the funicular entrance) and it's the first one; the other booths behind it are for the different ferry companies. Hope this helps!
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Thanks Bluefan
NO I'm not a T.A. I would think that would be fairly obvious from some of the dumb questions I've asked on these boards.
The Mamela was recommended to me by a friend who has spent every summer of his life on Capri.I'm just passing on what I thought was a great experience.I've stayed cheaper & more grand on capri, but for my $ I think the Mamela i s the best deal on the island.
No need to say more... best of luck to Ziba
Fluffy

Old Jun 15th, 2003, 07:29 PM

bluefan, the Via Tragara is not a long uphill walk back to town! As I said it is remarkable for being about the only absolutely level, wide, relaxing walk in Capri (there is a long Anacapri one that goes from town to above the lighthouse). There is an uphill transition where it meets Capri village outskirts, but Mamala is downhill from via Tragara so why not bemoan the more uphill walk from Mamala?

As for the looping hiking path, I would recommend beginners go counterclockwise then double back when they get tired (certainly before the endless stairs). For intermediate I not only say go clockwise to hit the stairs downwards, but beforehand while you are high anyway go to the villa Jovis (if not for the ruins, then for the little known but wonderful park nearby).

For those advanced in finding ways around you can take the most scenic and easiest loop which shortcuts inboard of the stair portion. Say you're approaching the natural arch (clockwise, and dreading the stairs). The last populated valley should have you hugging the right side instead of the normal left side. There is an interesting restaurant on that side too. You come to overlooks of the natural arch with plaques by the Lions Club which are in some disrepair (but you can see the arch without dead end stairwalks). Now follow the pleasant narrow trail thru the pine needles. It scenically comes to meet the loop path without the torture of endless stairway and misses some of the up and down. Memorize the intersection so you can use counterclockwise.

The ticket booth at Marina Grande was highly disfuntional when I was there. It assumes folks can form a single line yet use multiple windows. Clientele there can't do either, and did better with the mob approaching multiple windows in parallel.

Mamela isn't a great value! It has partly obscured view compared to cheaper hotels nearly beside it which have perfect, transcendant views. However I never dare name the better valued competition since I'm too cheap to pay rack rates and depend on showing up to negotiate for their hopefully empty rooms (often better than those given to those with reservations who are less likely to walk away).
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 09:33 PM

viking buddy, lighten up there a little bit...we're all just sharing opinions and everyone has different takes. Anyways, I wasn't contrasting the merits of the Punta Tragara vs. the Mamela since I didn't stay at either. In fact, I tend to think any hotel on Capri would be just fine as I'm one of those in the camp that thinks the island is a worthwhile destination. Maybe it is a day-tripper's worst touristic nightmare, but I found it to be quite enjoyable walking along the paths leading away from the town center as well as exploring Anacapri.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Bluefan, Fluffy, Viking, and anyone else that's responded to my inquiry:

Thanks for all your input. I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions. Ziba
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:31 PM

Bluefan, the point is about facts rather than opinions. In the wild fantasy topography of Capri, the most notable thing is a level path that gives your legs a break while still soaking in beauty.

It should be of fundamental note that via Tragera provides that miracle in Capri and via Matermania in Anacapri. When one denies that and other of the hard won lessons I shared, it seems my whole contribution is undercut into a mush of seeming contradictions.

Travel is too important to be simple chitchat; travel is war, travel is a sacred quest; truth must be feretted out above all... OK, I'll take a pill now
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:50 PM

What??? You aren't staying at Quisisana during your stay on Capri? Are you mad??? Who cares about the best views at the smaller, 3-star hotels when you can look at an Agnelli or the Marchioness of Tavistock lounging by the pool at Q.

You probably answer your own door. Ciao.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:21 AM

See July issue of Conde Nast Travelers magazine for article on Capri. Mentions the Hotel SanMichele near AnaCapri. Have not stayed there but lunched there, and surely there is no better view! Beautiful. Reasonable rates.
Don't know about transportation down to Capri but no doubt there is some. Anacapri is interesting and has great views.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Ziba,hope you find something you like.I do suggest checking out www.caprionline.com you can see the hotels for yourself, Capri is magic, no matter what hotel you choose.
la dolce Capri
Fluffy