Dinner cruise on the Bateaux Mouche?

Jun 29th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Dinner cruise on the Bateaux Mouche?

Hello, all,
Still trying to nail down our evenings in Paris. A fond memory from our first visit 25 years ago was a dinner cruise on the Bateaux Mouche. (Of course, we were much younger and more easily impressed...) I remember an excellent meal and a harpist playing as we cruised along the Seine.
My question: has anyone taken this lately? Is this still a nice experience? Would you recommend it? Also, if anyone has a clue how to book it, I'd appreciate any info. Thanks in advance!
Jun 29th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

just topping, looking for a dinner cruise veteran here...
Jun 29th, 2005, 05:08 PM

For more information look at:
http://www.bateaux-mouches.fr/English_index.htm

I don't know about the dinner cruise; I've heard others say that the food isn't that great. We enjoyed just taking the boat one evening to see the city all lit up. You don't need advance reservations for that, and it's not expensive. I think it was 8 euro per person.
Jun 29th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, nonofelice, maybe we should just take a cruise after dinner.
I'll check out the website!
Jun 29th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Hi cybertraveler

I too have heard that the food on the dinner cruises is rather a waste of an opportunity for having dinner in Paris. Sorry, but I don't have first hand experience, just word of mouth.

We do love taking an evening cruise on the Seine, and prefer, as some others here do, the Vedettes Pont Neuf as opposed to the Bateaux Mouches. Vedettes Pont Neuf, located on the Pont Neuf, are smaller and IMO, more romantic boats. The Pont Neuf is a pretty central location, too. I believe they have a website and a coupon might be available there.
Jun 29th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Ditto on the ordinary food on the Bateau Mouche. The cruise should be excellent but maybe an after dinner event?
I must admit I am very, very picky about food, especially in Paris!
Jun 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM

We took the Bateaux Parisiens dinner cruise several years ago and thought it was a good time and a decent value for an evening out:

http://www.bateauxparisiens.com/main2.htm

Jun 29th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies,
tuscanlifeedit, great tips on which boats to take. I will check out Vedettes Pont Neuf. I assume that we can just buy a ticket when we get there, but I'll visit the website.
(I kind of thought we might not have been the best food critics on our first trip- We were so awed by the whole city, everything seemed wonderful!)
We'll definitely eat first, then take the boat trip-sounds heavenly!
Jun 29th, 2005, 07:16 PM

You might want to consider taking the boat cruise first and eating afterwards. Most Paris restaurants don't start serving until about 8 p.m., and by the time you're finished the last boats might have left.
Jun 30th, 2005, 12:09 AM

Underhill, is it dark enough at an earlier time? Do you get the same effect as when it is totally dark. I am guessing early Sept it is still light pretty late. But I do understand your point about being too late after a dinner. What is the optimum time to go early Sept? Could this be something to do when you have a had a big lunch and maybe only wanting a light supper that night?
Jun 30th, 2005, 07:22 AM

We did a non-dining trip on the Bateaux Mouches and saw plenty of boats that were of the drinking/dining/dancing fare. Looks like there are plenty out there offering the full package.

I do agree with enjoying the meal in a nice restaurant and doing the boat seperately. If it is of interest to you, the lights on the Eiffel Tower "twinkle" for ten minutes on the hour until 1am. I believe that the "twinkle" at 1am lasts 20 mins.
Jun 30th, 2005, 12:54 PM

The last Bateaux Mouches cruise in May left at 11 pm (lasts about an hour). Also, be aware that most Metro trains stop running somewhere between 12:30 and 1:00.

We took the 11 pm one after having dinner at 7:30. We thought it was very dramatic to be out on the river in full darkness because the lighted city is so spectacular. But I have also read that sunset is a nice time to go, with the last daylight fading and the city lights just coming on.

Here is a web site that shows sunrise and sunset times for Paris:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=195
Jun 30th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, moldyhotels--that tip about the twinkling lights is awesome-I'll be watching for it.
Nonnafelice, I love that site that tells sunset times. FYI the sun is setting just before 10:00 pm now, which means that in a few weeks, we could probably catch an early dinner (around 7:30? would this give us enough time in a casual restaurant?) then get the bateau around 9:30 and be aboard for sunset>dark! Anyone know of a good casual restaurant near the place where we would catch the boat...?
Jun 30th, 2005, 05:33 PM

Hi Cybertraveler

I am not sure about restaurants near the Bateaux Mouche (I think they are a little inconvenient for my general areas of staying and eating) but there are loads of restaurants near enough to the Pont Neuf (you can certainly walk up and get on the boats; no advance purchase necessary; just mentioned the website fiy).

I am in bed recovering from surgery (cosmetic,not ill health) or I would grab a map and a good dining guide and make some recs for you. I am sure others will help.

I was thinking that Fish La Boisonnerie might be a good choice. Casual and good, centrally located. But I'm not near a map or guide book. Sorry.