Capri April, May or October?

Jun 17th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Capri April, May or October?

We are thinking of visiting Capri next year -April, May or October are our choices (due to our availability). Which month would be better?

We don't care about swimming, and prefer not to have it really hot, but would rather have hot than rainy weather.
Jun 17th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Yikes! I just looked at flights for Oct of this year to get an idea - 1K+!!

Will April/May be cheaper for flights?
Jun 17th, 2007, 06:33 AM

I am now deciding between next April and May for my own trip to the Amalfi area. A few days ago I looked at a weather chart (I cannot remember the source but it was posted here, I believe) and surprisingly, April offers less chance of rain than May...hope that helps.
I was on Capri in early May long ago and I remember the weather as being idyllic (but too cold to swim).
Jun 17th, 2007, 07:01 AM

I just returned from Capri the first week of May this year and the weather on the island was absolutely perfect! Sunny and 78 F. Sorrento and the rest of the coastline was a bit chilly at times but it only rained once during my 10 day stay April 27- May 6.

Enjoy the limone e limoncello!

Jun 19th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

ciaolaura -
Did you stay on Capri the whole time and tour from there?

We can't decide if we should spend a few nights in Positano on one or both ends of the trip to tour some of the Amalfi Coast towns, or just stay on Capri.

I keep thinking it would be a shame to go all that way though and not see at least Positano, Ravello

We're planning about a 10-day trip.
Jun 19th, 2007, 05:56 PM

We were in Capri the first week of April 2005 and the weather was perfect. Probably about 65 degrees...it did not rain at all the whole week were in Italy. Maybe we were just lucky? April or May should be great.
Jun 19th, 2007, 07:37 PM

I was based in Sant'Agnello di Sorrento and walked to the ferry from my hotel to go to Capri. My trip also included a private driver who drove me through the towns on the Amalfi Coast. Personally, on a 10-day trip, I would stay in two or three locations; but that is just me. My husband doesn't like to move since we have to re-pack everything and haul the luggage - I guess it all depends on how you like to travel and if you mind dealing with luggage, which I don't.

ciaolaura.
Jun 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM

We were told by an italian that Italy is similar to California as they are on the same meridians. We were in Positano late May, early April last year. Overcast and a couple of sprinkles, but delightful! We enjoyed the weather. I would definately suggest staying in Positano....wonderful and relaxing and beautiful!
Jun 20th, 2007, 04:58 AM

Capri in April and October is generally lovely, especially as you say swimming is not so important. Evenings could be cool.
Keep in mind that the weather in Italy has been extremely variable the last few years so it's hard to predict (a cold June last year) other than that July and August will most definitely be hot.
May could potentially be hot, depending on when in May you are going, etc.
Ellen C.
Jun 20th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone comment on staying in Positano prior to Capri or after Capri or both?

I worry if we end on Capri, we might not be able to ferry back due to back weather and might miss our plane.

But I hate the thought of staying in 3 places. We like to just hang out in one spot, get to know it, and live like a local!
Jun 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM

May gets my vote.
Jun 21st, 2007, 02:12 AM

MAY!!