Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accommodations near Dover or Canterbury?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for somewhere as quiet and comfortable as possible to un jet-lag for a day and night before our cruise embarks out of Dover. I know that some folks overnight at the airport, but we'd rather move on towards Dover (we'll have a private driver, not a car). Had thought to stay at the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge because it sounded lovely and I'm interested in seeing Canterbury, but have learned that bells chime all day until late at night. I'm hoping that folks who know the area well can suggest somewhere that'd be very quiet, somewhere we could enjoy walking around for the afternoon when we arrive, and maybe a few hours the next morning, but mainly where we'd get a terrific night's sleep. (Can't do queen size beds, by the way; needs to be king or separate.) Thanks much!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a few good suggestions - but based on your response to my previous attempts to help you - guess I'll just keep them to myself.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:56 AM

We stay overnight at the Holiday Inn, Ashford North, before travelling to France. We always have a good nights sleep. The hotel is in quite a rural setting, and if you request a room at the back you will overlook farmland - crops not livestock! No churches as far as the eye can see.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM

and the sheep will baah baah you to sleep!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Dover itself is great for a half day - the castle of your dreams on a perch overlooking the harbor and town. Can clamber onto the Cliffs of Dover. Some good hotels near seafront - and not the church bell type of town it seems.

Stop by Canterbury Cathedral en route if wish but Dover is a delight for a half day or so even though the town itself is a dud - nice interesting seafront and the castle!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Maybe you could look for a hotel or B&B in St Margarets, Deal, Walmer or Sandwich if Canterbury is too noisy.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, poss,

I know, those bells are a pest, aren't they? but it's only once an hour. good if you've lost your watch. there are far worse things to keep you awake, and you can always pack ear-plugs.

seriously, a central location would surely be better, as you never know when or if jet-lag will strike, and if one of you is ok, they don't want to be stuck out in the middle of no-where.

I'd go for the cathedral lodge, and pack the ear-plgs.

regards, ann
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM

We stayed at the lovely Broome Park resort located half way between Dover and Canterbury. We were there for an entire week through a timeshare exchange and highly recommend its peaceful pastoral setting.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much everyone. I'm going to follow up on all the suggestions.

Ann-- we always do pack ear-plugs, by the way; "wouldn't leave home without them" as that credit card thing says. The Cathedral Lodge situation really does sound very lovely and unique, so maybe we'll wind up there after all.

But I love the idea of a rural setting, too. And sheep! A built-in counting game as I'm waiting for those zzz's to kick in. Very cool!

And of course I am looking forward to walking on those famous Dover cliffs. Not a great fan of most of Matthew Arnold, but some of the lines in that Dover poem have stayed with me for decades-- will be such fun to touch base.

Off, now, to follow up on some of these suggestions-- thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

lambs2: I just googled Broome Park (I remember the first time I saw broome many years ago-- on a trip to Victoria in Canada-- wonderful plant) From what I could see, BP looks as if it's a time-share resort, i.e. not available for a night or two? Is that correct? It sure does look like a wonderful, restful, elegant place. It must be a real pleasure to stay there (especially if one is a golfer).
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Personally, I find the damn sheep wake me up a lot more often than the church bells do - and the bells are only 50 ft from my country bedroom.

And neither even begin to compete with the dawn chorus. Or the racket the owl makes all night.

Best place by far in SE England for a quiet night's sleep is central London. Countryside - especially countryside with trees and hedges, which is Kent's speciality - just never hunkers down and goes to sleep.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, flanneruk,

can I swap your owl for my cockerel? even though he's 200 yards away in a coop in a field, we still hear him. coq au vin on the way, I think.

regards, ann
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:33 AM

the many colonies of wild parakeets in Kent i've experienced in campgrounds can make particularly raucus rackets early in the day.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:14 AM

I suggest you try Great Weddington
Contact information
Kate & Neil Gunn
Great Weddington,
Ash,
Canterbury,
Kent
CT3 2AR

Tel : 01304 813407 or 01304 812531
Fax : 01304 812531