Search

Capri

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 10:38 AM
Sharon

Capri

We have about 8 hours on Capri. What do you recommend? Are there nice public beaches? Are there storage lockers for luggage? Do you recommend we see the "Blue Grotto". We will be traveling with our 2 boys, ages 10 and 7. Thank you.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 10:50 AM
GAC

Take a pleasant stroll up to the ruins of the (Roman) Villa Jovis. 45 minutes in each direction, very moderate grade. Stunning views. Alternatively, visit the Villa of Alex Munthe in Anacapri. Or take a shorter stroll to the Faraglioni. Or take the chair lift to the top of Mt. Solara

Old May 4th, 2002, 01:42 AM
Steve James

Hello Sharon,<BR><BR>Just to 'second' GAC's suggestion of the Monte Solaro chairlift ride. Great views from the top on a clear day!<BR><BR>Capri's short on beaches. The nicest spot IMO is Marina Piccola.<BR><BR>Steve

Old May 4th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Mari

Visiting the Blue Grotto can take several hours depending on how many boats are trying to disembark passengers, weather conditions, etc. It was not a good experience for us, but you can read many pros and cons if you do a search on this website.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:45 PM
ggfinds

I spent one day there and it has not enough. We took a ferry from Positano. I wish I had spent a few days. I am a shopper and the dollar bought so much at wonderful stores! I wish I had more time for sites and shopping!

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:38 PM
brownie

You can also hire a moped and just "go". We did an aimless walk and it was really good - just wandering through the streets and getting lost. I loved Capri. I think 8 hrs is enough. We did the blue grotto and it was good. I would recommend it.

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:41 AM
Helen

We did Capri in a day last week on our cruise. I would highly recommend the Blue Grotto with kids expecially. It is a fun experience and the boat drives sing and make it more fun!! My kids in their mid twenties loved it-- but maybe they enjoyed Mom climbing in and out of boats and lying down on bottom of a row boat more??? We got off our hydrofoil early on like before 9 am and the tours arrived and got right on the Blue Grotto tours. It is right on same dock as baots come in on the left --you can't miss it! Then we took funicular up to Capri town My husband and son parked themselves in a table on the village green sort of when you get off funicular. My daughter and I browsed the shops for an hour or so--all the designers--most very pricey--and while I wasn't there to shop didn't see one thing in the windows that knocked me over. Later we went for walk I read about here. As you get off funicular in your left you will see streetside cafes go under archway on your left. One will say Municipale and it is one to right of that. Walk thru the streets preety shops etc and come to residential area very pretty with great views. Keep following signs to the Arco Naturale--it is sort of an upward incline but not too bad (I could do it) You will eventually come to the end and the views are spectacular. If you are on our morning schedule it will be almost lunchtime and there is one restaurant there only. Restaurant built into cave and seating on veranday across the street with the most fabulous views!! We had a delightful lunch there and met so many interesting people mostly who had walked it the other way (up the stairs!_May God Bless them) I had beentold there were stairs down which appealed after walk up. They said 300--it seemed like a million to me!! They are deep steps and far apart. (I am recovering from major surgery six months ago and not as ready for this as I should have been) However the fantastic views thuout this walk combined with fact we hardly passed anyone and felt like we had it to ourselves. It finall thankfully leveled off for a while and then suddenly like a mirage stairs like a million of them going uP!! I made it but don't know how--even said at one point during the walk I would like to be buried here under a shade tree!! Seriously it was the kids favorite place and we went to so many wonderful ones. Given you have young children and younger than me I would presume it will be a piece of cake for you and a wonderful experience!! I know there are several other options but we were thrilled with out day there!! H

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:10 AM
John

I would second Helen's recommended walk - I did it last May on our cruise on the Grandeur. Many, many Kodak moments and very invigorating. Took about two hours and then you're definitely ready for lunch.

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Jim

If you have any pants that have shrunk up in the wash, this is the place to wear them!