Ostia Antica

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:14 PM
lee

Ostia Antica

Hello Fodorites,
I leave for Rome in just seven more days. I'm finalizing my trip notes and found that the museum information on MUSEI Online (http://www.museionline.it/eng/cerca/default.htm) said that the museum at Ostia Antica is closed for refurbishment:
ARCHAEOLOGY
Ostiensis Museum of Archaeology
Roma - loc. Ostia Antica, viale dei Romagnoli, 717
Phone 06/56358099)
This was the first I've heard or seen anywhere on this. We were really hoping to get out there and view the site on our first Monday in Rome (since so many sites in Rome are closed on Monday). My only hope is that the site has not been updated recently (the prices are still in Lire) Has anyone been to Ostia Antica recently? If the museum is closed are the ruins still open? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
lee

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Stacey

Ostia is a terrific site to visit for a day, but it is closed on Monday. Check twenj.net and scalareale.org for great notes on such an excursion. The museum was open when I was there a few weeks ago, but even if it is closed now, the outdoor ruins are what makes it worthwhile.

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:32 AM
lee

Closed on Monday???? The Lets's Go and Fodor's guides both say open daily. I guess Monday isn't really a day.
Since most places are closed on Monday any suggestions on what to do on Monday in Rome would be appreciated.

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:00 AM
elaine

Mondays:
the Vatican
churches
some of the Catacombs
Colosseum
a walk through the Jewish Ghetto and/or
Trastevere
Pantheon
etc etc

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Richard

Just there a few weeks ago-site open and great-even if museum not open the site makes a whole days'fascinating excursion. The cafeteria and the wonderful Italian dishes was a welcome break. After the rush and noise of Rome, O.A. was very refreshing.

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:27 AM
lee

Thanks for the tips. I'll still hit OA just will have to work out another day (we'll be there for 12). We'll be arriving on Wednesday and I know I couldn't wait til Monday to see most of the ruins and the Vatican, but the suggested tour of Testevere sounds good. Good time for a view from the hills overlooking Rome and a leisurely walk in the district. Thanks again.