Sunday in Rome

Apr 1st, 2011, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Sunday in Rome

As part of 4 day s in Rome, we will be there on a Sunday - 2nd of October. Trying to plan our days/ tours according to what is open . Obviously, churches will be having Mass. Any suggestions ? Thank you
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM

Yes---have a brunch on via Veneto---maybe after mass at Santa Susanna--and then walk into the Borgehse park to see Roman family life. Then ,have a 2:00 time slot at the Galleria Borghese--be there by 1:30. A great day we have done before.
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:20 AM

I think you're going to find there is more open than closed. Most museums are open, but you can take a look online before you go. The only place I know of that's definitely closed is Palazzo Colonna, and that's because it's only open to the public one day a week. The Vatican Museum is open, as is Palazzo Barberini and the Galleria Doria Pamphilj.
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:37 AM

The Vatican Museums are only open the *last* Sunday of the month.

Almost everything is open Sunday; most things are closed Monday.
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:12 AM

Sorry, Zerlina, and thanks. (As you can tell, I've been in Rome on the last Sunday of the month!) There may also be an interesting exhibit worth checking out (exhibits and "special shows" rotate through there) at Palazzo Ruspoli on via del Corso. A lot of the "natives" of the city just get out and walk on Sunday, if the weather is nice, it's really cool to just walk around.
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM

The Porta Portese flea market is an interesting Sunday morning diversion. Can be quite crowded, watch your valuables/
Apr 1st, 2011, 11:51 PM

I think in the AM, I'd head to Porta Portese, just for the experience - http://tinyurl.com/porta-portese - and then do as Bob says; Villa Borghese or Villa Ada are wonderful escapes on Sunday afternoons.

Romans don't have yards, so everyone comes to the park to hang out. We've often had "get-togethers" with 20-30 people meeting in Borghese. Bring your vino and lunch. Here's a post with maps and options for getting to the Galleria and Park: http://tinyurl.com/Borghese-transportation

If you're walking up Via Veneto from Barberini, you could stop by the Cripta dei Cappuccini: http://tinyurl.com/bone-church.
Apr 2nd, 2011, 07:19 AM

rineurope, thanks for the links. But what is the "cardboard trick?"
Apr 2nd, 2011, 07:51 AM

The Jewish Ghetto and Museo Ebraico (Hebrew museum). Google the Jewish Ghetto Rome and you will find a ton of things to see. Also walk around Trastevere.
Apr 2nd, 2011, 08:38 AM

You will find that most everything is open inn the "historic centre" area so you will be able to find and do most everything. I agree that the flea market in Trastevere is a fun thing to do on Sunday.
As long as you are over there I would recommend going to a restaurant over there for either lunch or dinner(half block from the tram line and two blocks from the center piazza there) and incidentally is now considered a Fodors's recommendation-called Alle Trastevere.Fabulous food,very reasonable AND the woman who cooks and owns it is Italian with her American born son running it.Think mushroom bruschetta for starters;ravioli with ricotta and sprinkled sausage on top and the BEST desserts. Their grilled seafood is to die for too.
I layover in Rome ALOT for work(airlines) and I find the Via Veneto is the biggest overpriced tourist trap-think places like the Hard Rock cafe and Harry's Bar?
You will pay big bucks for substandard food unless you know the little "mom and pop" places to go to.Have fun!
Apr 2nd, 2011, 09:03 AM

The cardboard trick is when a couple of "thieves" approach you. One shoves a cardboard against your waist area while the other, underneath the cardboard, goes through your pockets. I've seen folks do this and literally hand a child to the unsuspecting person so that person's hands are full... When someone comes at you like this, usually in groups of 2-3 with their cardboard "sign", just yell, "Vai, Vai!"

There's a stronger police presence in Porta Portese lately so I have not seen these folks in about a year... but they do go where the crowds are.
Apr 2nd, 2011, 01:41 PM

Dutyfree: do you have a better location for Alle Trastevere? Is it away from the river on the other side of the tram tracks?

Steve
Apr 2nd, 2011, 02:54 PM

I think Dutyfree means Alle Fratte di Trastevere:
http://allefratteditrastevere.com/