Search

Sunday in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday in Rome

Our original trip to Rome was going to be arriving Friday mid-day and leaving Sunday evening. Have now been told it is not worth being in Rome Sunday as everywhere is closed and we should go Thursday and leave Sunday. What's the general consenus on this please.

Also have found 2 hotels, one is Fontana di Trevi, which is a stones throw from the fountain and the other is Cosmopolita which is nearer the Piazza Venezia. Does anyone have any knowledge of either of these hotels.

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:54 PM

All the sites of Ancient Rome--the Colosseum, the Forum, the Palatine Hill--are open on Sunday and could take your whole day of sightseeing. The Forum closes at sunset, so depending on your time of year, it could be earlier or later.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
KT

"Have now been told it is not worth being in Rome Sunday as everywhere is closed"

This is untrue. Most museums are open Sunday and closed Monday. The notable exception is the Vatican Museum, which is vice-versa. Many shops are open. The archaeological area (catacombs, etc.) on the Appian Way is closed to traffic, as it the road connecting the Forum to the Colosseum, making sightseeing easier. As noted by ellenem, the big ancient sites are open. Sightseeing in churches does get a bit tricky, as you can't (or shouldn't) sightsee during Mass, but you're usually okay when churches reopen in the afternoon.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

so would you recommend we travel friday through monday leaving late pm or thursday through sunday leaving midday sunday
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Without knowing the rest of your itinerary and interests, it's hard to make a judgment.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

well we definitely want to go the Vatican, the Pantheon and the Colosseum, and we've been told we must see the view from the top of St Peters Basilica. Also the Trevi fountain and, if there is time, we'd like to visit the gardens at the Villa Borghese. How does that sound time wise.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:32 PM

I don't think it matters if you go Fri-Mon or Thur-Sat as long as you plan your trip accordingly. Nothing is more disappointing than traveling to a site only to find out it is closed. Also, you can make reservations for some sites to avoid the possibility of getting shut out. I highly recommend making a reservation for the Villa Borghese.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:33 PM

People tend to plan all Vatican and St Peters visit for one day, all ancient Rome for another day. Trevi and pantheon are quick visits near one another that can fit around the other things or be a day in the hisotirc center of its own.

My memory of the gardens at the Villa Borghese is that it's a pleasant park, not a destination formal garden. Moe to the point would be to visit the wonderful gallery in the villa itself combined with a park visit. The gellery is visited by appointment, which allows you a two-hour visit.

Three days would cover all your territory comfotably. It doesn't really matter whcih three days.

Personally, I would take at least four days to allow for the unexpected.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

kangamum - thanks for that will definitely look into reservations for most places we want to visit.

How about the hotels - has anyone any knowledge of them?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM

I should really check my typing.

Anyway, I just checked the locations of your two hotel choices. The one by the Trevi is right on top of the fountain. some might like that--I wouldn't--too crazy a spot for me. Check the reivews at tripadvisor.com.

I'm wild about the location of the Cosmopolita either. There are some odd, crazy, heavy traffic patterns in that area, though I think this might be more on a side street from the craziness. Not sure if you'll find this one on tripadvisor. . .

good luck
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Not sure if still true but the Pantheon used to be closed Sunday afternoons because we arrived as the doors shut.
Closures vary by season, so be aware of that too.

I would lean toward four days. You do have some travel time (whether walking, taxi, Metro) and eating.

I also would not recommend the Borghese Gardens as a major destination.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

ellenem - you seem to know Rome quite well, any recommendations on where to stay, we like small personal hotels rather than the modern chain type ones.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM

larrainebp.

You might do well to do a search on the boards, or ask for specific recommendations. I remember finding lots of info when we went to italy several years ago. We stayed near the Piazza Navona and felt that we were very well located. I would also look into the small hotel that faces the Pantheon which I thought was quite lovely.

Although the gardens at the Villa Borghese are not incredible, the villa and the gallery IMO are not be missed. Make sure to rent the device with the commentary. I recommend going early in the morning, having an espresso (standing at the bar of course) at the cafe in the Villa Borghese. Doing the tour, touring the gardens, and then walking to the Piazza di Popollo. If you can, try to eat lunch at Dal Bolognese (facing the piazza) and you will feel like you are part of the italian glitterati.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:06 PM

I would try for someplace closer to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, or Campo de Fiori, especially if this is your first visit. I'm not wild about the Spanish Steps area, since I'm not much of a shopper at high-end stores. That said, I'm trying the Daphne Inn Veneto myself next month which breaks half the rules I just made, but I'm trying it on the recommendation of another friend. It is not a full-service hotel, but gets great reviews and the price is right for my traveling companion.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM

In the past the Vatican museum has been closed on Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday. The Vatican has a web site and you might look at this site (and others) for help http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...fo_Orario.html
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:32 AM

You didn't mention the date of the Sunday you will be in Rome. The Vatican is usually closed on Sundays, except for the last Sunday of the month. It's open on the last Sunday and its free.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

does anyone have any ideas what small hotel facing the Pantheon Kangamum is referring to?