On a Sunday in Rome

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a Sunday in Rome

What can we do on a Sunday in Paris? Are all stores always closed? As well as museums? Is there anything else to do other than people watch?
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Oooops, Rome I mean (that's what happens with cut and paste)
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 07:09 PM

My favorite things to do in Rome on a Sunday are to visit museums, parks and churches. Many museums are open on Sunday, as are the major sites of antiquity. A great Sunday can be spent in the Forum, Colosseo area, and one could add on a visit to the Terme Caracalla.

The Ghetto area can be lively on Sunday. I recently read about the Taverna della Ghetto being a good Sunday afternoon lunch stop.

Last year in March there were open air flea/craft tables on weekends all over the area north of the Piazza Navona and east of via della Scrofa. Most churches (and there are some great ones) and some museums in this area are open on Sundays.

A great way to spend a Sunday if the weather is good is in the Villa Borghese park. There are loads of people out, the park is huge, and there are many varied things to do and see. One could start at the top of the park with a reserved visit to the "must see" Galleria Borghese, and then make one's way south to the Pincio. That ought to fill an good amount of time.

There always seem to be some sort of cultural activities on. Also there are some stores in the heavily touristed Condotti shopping area open on Sundays. I am almost sure that the Camper store, the CUCINA store, and some others are open on Sunday. I wish I could swear to this, but I can't.

If you are up for a day trip, Sunday could be a good day. Ostia Antica comes to mind.

Another suggestion would be to visit the area that includes Nero's Golden House and the Moses statue at ST. Peter in Chains. I've done that on a Sunday and it was fun.

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 05:21 AM

On Sunday afternoons, the entire city seems to be out walking. They used to close some of the main arteries to traffic and the area around the coliseum to Piazza Venezia would become pedestrian-only.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:07 AM

The Via Appia Antica is closed to traffic on Sundays and makes a nice walk, especially in the spring and summer. The catacombs are open. I like going to Frascati or another town in the Castelli Romana area for a big lunch. Many Roman families do the same. The towns are easily reached by train from Termini in about 45 minutes. Trains leave very frequently.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 09:43 AM

The piazzas are great for sitting and people watching-never a bored moment doing this in Rome. Piazza Navona is one of the best ones in my opinion.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 09:56 AM

In my earlier message I mentioned a crafts show of sorts, and said "east of the via della Scrofa" when I meant WEST of that street. Sorry
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks for the suggestions, now I know there are a lot to consider.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:18 PM

I read on a tour site somewhere that the inside of the Colosseum is closed to the public on Sundays and Wednesdays..is this true?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:08 PM

Hi JC4Unl, Tuscanlifeedit already mentioned it but I just wanted to say when I read the title of your post the first thing that came to mind was the Borghese Park.

We had traveled around Italy by car for a long time, had been in Rome for several days and on a Sunday we needed some peace and quiet and a Sunday feeling.

We ended up in the Borghese Park. It was a Sunday afternoon I will never forget. All the people quietly enjoying their Sunday too, the beauty, the peace of it. I have been in the Borghese Park on other days but IMHO on Sunday it seems like a very special place.

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 06:01 AM
DRJ

Porta Portessa (sp?) is a gigantic flea market that stretches for blocks every Sunday. Don't go if you are at all claustrophobic.