Capri in half a day - Must sees

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am staying a few days in Positano early June. I want to spend one day in Capri, with the core of the afternoon (say from 3pm onwards) touring around the island by boat, swimming, etc.

This leaves me with say 6 hours (9am to 3pm !) to see the island from the ground !

What would you see first ? where would you go ? any bright ideas for a wonderful itinary ?

Thx very much in advance for any feedbak !
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are daytriping to Capri you should be aware that the ferries do not run very late.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:40 PM

the first hour stay just ahead of the daytripper hordes to capri town on the funicular. take a quick look at the stunning cliff views in the town square, then pass thru town to the backside cliff gardens such as augustus, which is exquisite in the first dewy moments of opening. go into the nearby certosa grounds for more cliffside overlooks.

Optionally you could clamber high above to the punta cannone overlook, but better start the counterclockwise circle by luxury hotels along via tragera and remote nature trails along the cliffs by villa malaparte and natural arch.

Optionally contine up to villa jovis roman ruins and parks, but maybe just make a slow return to capri town and lunch. Take bus to anacapri then the chairlift to mt solano with its stupendous views. Stop in villa san michelle, then take the backdoor shortcut to your boat down the incredible fenician stairway.

A little full for your day, but you may want to come back for a second day anyway. I prefer about a 10 to 1 ratio of days in capri vs positano - tee hee
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 11:46 PM

I was there in September for less than 6 hours and did everything I wanted to do/see. The first thing I would recommend is seeing the famous "Blue Grotto". In fact, as soon as you get off the ferry boat, head straight to the other little boat that takes you to the grotto. Total cost of boat, then smaller boat into grotto ~15 euros (totally worth it!)

Take the funicular up to the Piazza Umberto in Capri's center and then venture out to Roman Emperor Tiberius' Villa Jovis, on the edge of the island overlooking the Sorrento peninsula. Nearby is the Arco Naturale, beautiful rock formations just off shore. With all that walking, you'll want to relax with some superb gelato and people watch back in Piazza Umberto, before catching your return ferry to Positano.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Definatley see the Blue Grotto. I too went straight to the small boats from our Ferry when we first arrived and got that out of the way first - be sure to duck when entering the grotto!! Our rower didn't sing but most of them did! Then I'd also suggest the bus to Anacapri then the chairlift to Mt Solano. Awesome.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:44 PM

If you can call is singing. I have never been exposed to such a large group of people who were completely tone-deaf. (Although the grotto itself is very beautiful - I would love to be there alone - rather than with all the other row boats and yodeling oarsmen.)
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:52 PM

The guidebooks talk about being able to take a boat out to the Blue Grotto and swimming in -- provided, of course, if you do it at the end of the day, after the tourist boats have stopped coming out to see it. Has anyone done this? I would love to do this on my next visit (I'm a very strong swimmer, so the only concern would be the tourist boats getting in my way -- or trying to run me down!).
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:32 AM

Was I the only one to read the question as asking what to do BEFORE going on a boat tour around the island? Circle tour is a very worthwhile thing, where you would include blue grotto if so moved - a bad option if the tide is high or seas are rough due to the low mouth of cave.

As for swimming in, this may be a summer only option. I'd very much like to try this, but when stopping by in shoulder season I noticed the boatman continuing nearly til dark. Spring and fall have shorter days, and the north facing arangement means darkness and cold at end of day.