Capri-Villa Jovis Directions & Info?

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capri-Villa Jovis Directions & Info?

It will be a mid-week March visit. My only interest on Capri will be the ancient sites esp Tiberius's Villa so what are my options from the dock to the Villa?
Taxi from the dock, are they metered or bargained? Ballpark price?
Funicular to the town of Capri and then a bus? or taxi?
Scooter rental? Roads/drivers dangerous?
"Let's Go" says it around a 1 hr *uphill* hike but they are alot younger than me . Although I probably wouldn't mind the *downhill* return walk, I assume? Any info on the Villa site (guides-audio/book/human, something not to miss, etc) or other ancient sites?
Thanks...Regards, Walter
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 10:57 AM

the Isle of Capri is really a mini-mountain rising out of the sea. Very little is at sea level - except for the fishing village/dock. From the dock you take a funicular up the mountain to the town of Capri. From the town you need to walk to the Villa Jovis - it took us the best part of an hour and it is an uphill walk (up a rutted unpaved "road") but definitely not a hike - but it was fairly hot when we did it. The walk is through a primarily residential neighborhhood. I know the use of cars is very limited on Capri and I don;t know if they are allowed to go to the Villa Jovis. We saw neither car nor cycle - nothing but people on foot for the entire 3-hour trip (there and back again).

I know there is a bus on Capri but I think it goes just from Capri to Anacapri. there are a couple of taxis at the dock to take your luggage up the switchback road to your hotel but I don;t know what other roads they are allowed on.

Perhaps a Capri web site might have more details.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks nytraveler. In hindsight I should have 'googled" it first, the websites all mention walking. In my 'Blue Guide' I saw the road from Capri to the Villa and just assumed. I was hoping to save time by avoiding the walk (plus being a tad lazy ) because the Villa closes at 2pm in the off-season.
Thanks again...Regards, Walter
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 01:35 AM

From the funicular in Capri Town,turn left around the main tower,into a little square.go through the small arch in the far left-hand side,on Via Longano.After 100m bend right,into Via Sopramonte.Follow this for 400m,to a cross-roads,where the Villa Jovis is signposted to the left.Follow this path which climbs gently but steadily for 1.5km to the Villa Jovis. It is slightly less than a 1 hour walk with only a height gain of 200m.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Walkamalfi! Very detailed. Regards, Walter