Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can room without view mean room without window?!

Feb 5th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

As we are going in March and mostly using our hotel rooms for sleep and it will be dark and cold at night, I thought it unnecessary to pay extra for view or balcony.I believe I have read some complaints of rooms without windows. When I attempt to get this info from hotels about rooms there is no response to my query which makes me a little anxious. Perhaps they just don't understand my question. Any experience with this?
Feb 5th, 2004, 04:25 AM
JonJon

In my experience a "room without a view" has a window that you get no view from...otherwise the whole "view" thing would be meaningless. I would again advise that you will be spending at least 1/3 of every day/night in your room. I have never stayed anywhere that didn't have a window, I never knowingly will, and neither should you...but some folks will go to great lengths to save a little money even if it ends up making them feel like a fool later.

Feb 5th, 2004, 04:38 AM

Yes, JonJon, but have you ever heard of anyone ever getting a windowless hotel room?

I've had windowless rooms occasionally, staying in private houses on remote Greek islands. And lots of hotel rooms with views of other rooms' drainage systems. But never a windowless hotel room.

Have I just been lucky? Or is RDixon worrying unnecessarily? One thing is sure: no hotel is going to volunteer the information the window looks out onto a dingy internal court and nothing else.
Feb 5th, 2004, 05:26 AM

I hate to say it but I know of a few hotels that advertise their "no window" rooms as rooms without a view. In my experience, I have always queried this and have been advised by the hotel beforehand. So I'd suggest that you keep trying to get an answer from them!
Feb 5th, 2004, 05:38 AM

flanneruk,

It's funny that you think there are no windowless rooms in hotels. I had the "pleasure" of sleeping in one in central London just couple of years ago. I had an emergency back at home so I left Manchester for London late evening. During the train trip, I phoned AA and they put me on the very first, early flight next morning. I was hungover and worried about the situation at home. Decided to stay somewhere near Victoria station as I had to catch a train to Gatwick very early. Walked into one of these 'family' run hotels close to the station and scored a room for about 19BP. I knew this place wasn't anything to write home about, but after all I just needed about 4 hours of sleep. Still, to my big surprise was the fact that the room had no windows. I thought about going back to the front desk, but frankly, I was just too tired and worried about the home situation. Closed the door and slept like a baby for the few hours.
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Maybe he is just looking for assurance that if there is a fire, he can get out the window!

And I have had a room without a window once right here in the states, in New Orleans.
Feb 5th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

NYCFoodSnob: I thought that's what this forum was for: worrywarts and perfectionists like me.
Feb 5th, 2004, 09:32 AM

When I first read it, I took it as an insult, and it wasn't even directed toward me -- heaven forbid I get attacked for asking a question someone else thinks will drive them to run and drink. I want to be the one to "run and drink."
Feb 5th, 2004, 09:54 AM

I've never stayed in a hotel lower than 2*, and have never had a hotel room without a window. In France, I thought that was actually illegal, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I would have thought that was illegal in the US, also, but I guess not -- for safety reasons. I think that is a criteria in the hotel star rating, however (if the hotel has rooms without windows and how many).

I have had some pretty crummy rooms in which the window opened to a wall or interior courtyard, etc., but never a room without one at all. I guess nowadays when they are often hermetically sealed it doesn't matter as much, but in a cheap hotel without climate control would be where you would find windowless rooms, anyway, so it would be unhealthy, I think.
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:52 AM

I have seen some rooms where the window is actually a vent to an air shaft. One single room in Due Torri in Rome has one of these rooms, I refused to stay in it, it was the size of a closet.

I know I am just spending the night there, but who wants to dread staying the night in a bad room while on a vacation?

I like to have joy and beauty in my life and if I couldn't afford a room with a real window, I would postpone my trip until I could.

But, this is my own life and opinion....
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:59 AM

AAFrequent Flyer

One of the many joys of my life is almost never having needed to stay in a hotel in London.

You've confirmed what I've often suspected about those cheapos near the main stations. How so many of you nice visitors put up with them I'll never know.
Feb 5th, 2004, 11:51 AM

I just remembered another one, this time in Manchester. I walked in to inquire about room for a couple of nights. When the nice girl gave me the options, it did include a windowless rooms but at least they were air conditioned. I walked. This one was Britannia Sachas, part of a big chain in the UK (Britannia Hotels) and in the center of the city.

Went straight to Le Meridien Palace.

If you don't believe me then go here:

https://www.hol.co.uk/asp/bookings/availability.asp

and just do an inquiry for a stay. This is what you will see:

Budget Single Room (No Window Air Conditioned) Budget Double Room (No window air conditioned) Standard Double Room (Skylight Window) Standard Twin Room (Skylight Window) Executive Single Room Executive Double Room Executive Twin Room Junior Suite Double Bed Leisure Break Twin Leisure Break Double
Friday 05/03/04 55.00 55.00 109.00 109.00 140.00 150.00 150.00 170.00 N/A N/A
Saturday 06/03/04 55.00 55.00 109.00 109.00 140.00 150.00 150.00 170.00 N/A N/A
Sunday 07/03/04 55.00 55.00 109.00 109.00 140.00 150.00 150.00 170.00 N/A N/A
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

So what some of you are saying is if you don't pay for a room with a view, whether you need a view or not, there is a good risk of not getting a "real window".

NYCFoodSnob: This is indulgent but I can't help myself. As well as being a worrywart and perfectionist-not having been to Europe in over 30 years, ever been to Italy and with an exchange rate of 1.8% (Canadian),I want to 'get it right'. Besides, how do we know that the early bird gets the worm. Perhaps it's the innocent trusting who get the worst and the squeeky wheel armed with knowledge who get the best of the rooms.