Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If we end up selecting the Rubens in London...and you've stayed there before...room type?

Search

If we end up selecting the Rubens in London...and you've stayed there before...room type?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the standard or what they call 'superior' double rooms satisfactory enough? Have any of you been in one & had a view, as well?

I think financially they make the most sense for us...but the Royal Rooms are intriguing with their decor. But 50 some GBP more. :-\

If you've stayed here before & enjoyed your room & could share, please do!
There are also King rooms, Jr Suites, Exec Suites & Royal rooms.
Thanks for any recent reviews.
Will also check Trip Advisor but most I saw there did not mention their specific room type. The lowest rate I can get is on the Red Carnation website...and just wonder if this comes with the downside of getting a not as nice room...view, smoky, etc.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:17 AM

We stayed there a couple of years ago. We thought it was a great hotel--wonderful location, nice amenities, etc. My complaint, however, was that we had not thought to book a room on the front. We were on the back and there was a lot of early morning noise from delivery trucks, trash pickup, etc. I would definitely return, but make sure I upgraded to at least the front of hotel.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:42 AM
jay

Hello Day, we stayed there in a stndard double room and thought that it was a fabulous hotel. We are going back in Oct.. The room was nice and clean on the smaller side (typical in europe) bt big enough that our daughter could sleep on the floor. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. It is also as you know very easy to get to Victoria Station. There was some noise as we also had a street front room but not bad. We did keep the window open most of the time to let in fresh air. Feel free to email me if you have any q's.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Weavermary reminded me of something I had completely forgotten about; the garbage pick ups in the morning. I've stayed there three times and only the once did we have a room in the back and that was a problem.

My favorite things about the Rubens were the helpful concierge and the wonderful bar. We ate dinner there a couple of times and listened to the pianist while we chatted with other travelers. Very nice.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the reviews & making me feel okay about going with a standard room.

I wonder if all updated at the same time...or some floors better? Also interested in a non-smoking room. Read somewhere they may be intermixed with smoking rooms? Any notice of a problem with this? (can be a real issue sometimes)

I wonder if higher up in front results in less traffic noise. Lastly, do you think I'd need to pay in advance in order to get a view room? Anyone have experience with them doing a complementary view upgrade? Or do I have to pay to truly secure one?

Thank again! It sounds cozy...we can deal with small rooms just fine. Just looking for a bit of character. Also considered County Hall Marriott across the bridge for its wonderful views, but I don't know...it also sounds like it feels much bigger which isn't necessarily better esp since we only have one full day in London...and 2 short nights. Thanks again!