Search

Bus or Train from Rome to Sorrento?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:49 AM
KAF
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus or Train from Rome to Sorrento?

I would like to see as much of the beautiful Amalfi Coast as possible when traveling from Rome to Sorrento, which would be the better mode of transport bus or train? Any idea of price for either? Do we need reservations for either? Can we take a huge suitcase on either? Thnx again!!

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:33 AM
ira

Hi KAF,

First, you will not see any of the AC on your trip from Rome to Sorrento. The AC starts south of Sorrento.

Most people using public transportation take the ES* train (more reliable than the IC) to Naples and then connect (same station) to the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento.

You then take the SITA bus along the AC between Sorrento and Amalfi.

You could also take the ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi and the SITA bus back.

Train schedules and prices are at www.trenitalia.com/en.

The ES* comes with reservations. IC trains charge about 3E extra for the reservation (not required, but you might have to stand if the trai is crowded).

How huge is your suitcase? There are luggage racks above the seats and storage areas in each car.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:43 AM
KAF
Original Poster

Ira, you are wonderful, is there anything you don't know? Thank you so much. PS you should write a travel book or be a tour guide
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:48 AM
KAF
Original Poster

Ira, I think our suitcases are about 34" high, by 22" wide by 18" deep I believe. Do you think they'll fit? Thnx.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Just thought I should add a bit about the Circumvesuviana.

I've taken it on two trips to Sorrento. It's not really a train. It's a commuter train. No A/C, etc.

The point of my post is that we made it by accident on the first trip. I was careful to observe on the second.

On the way from the ticket booths to the train you pass an electronic board that indicate which track for which trains.

Unfortunately, trains for several destinations use the same track.

Once on the track carefully watch the small electronic board above. When Sorrento flashing appears, then you have the correct train.

I've seen many tourists just get on the train without paying attention to the destination.

Sorrento is at the end of the line so you don't have to concern yourself as to when to get off.

You'll see Pompeii about half way.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 12:22 PM
KAF
Original Poster

Dear Myer, Thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely keep my eye on the message book. KAT
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 12:23 PM
KAF
Original Poster

Myer I mean flashing message board not book
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 12:24 PM
yk

KAF-

I hope you are joking about the size of your suitcases.
I don't know how one can even lift it up onto a train, let alone the luggage racks.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 12:29 PM
KAF
Original Poster

Hi YK, I'm a girl, so I have plenty of things to bring alone, as a matter of fact I may have to bring an empty suitcase just to haul all of my purchases back with me....Just Kidding.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 12:59 PM
ira

Hi KAF,

On our last trip we brought a suitcase that size. You put it in the luggage rack on the ES*. It will just fit on the overhead in an IC compartment. Put it on the rack facing front so that it doesn't fall off if the train stops quickly.

My wife has since taken pity on me. We are getting a smaller suitcase.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Just so you know - you will have to be able to lift the suitcase onto the train - up 2 or 3 very steep steps and through a narrow doorway. then you will have to maneuver it down a narrow aisle. then you will have to be able to lift it above your head - at arm's lenght - to get in onto an overhead rack. Hope whoever's going to have to do this has been weightlifiting.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
More info about the Circumvesuviana... As Myer pointed out, the electronic board will indicate the track number for the Sorrento train. But you should still look at the sign on the front of the train to make sure it says Sorrento. So many trains are coming and going on very tight schedules. You could be at the correct track at the correct time for the Sorrento train, but the Salerno (or wherever) train is still loading.