Budapest to Prague - Plane or train

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest to Prague - Plane or train

We fly into Budapest from Berlin at 7.40am on a Monday. There is a cheap smartwings flight from Budapest to Prague on Wednesday at 1905. Do you think this gives us enough time in Budapest. The alternative is to take the train to Prague. That will give us one extra day in Budapest, one day less in Prague. We leave Prague on the following Monday to train it to Krakow then on up to Gdansk by train a couple of days later. What would you do plane or train?
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Has anybody got any suggestions on this itinerary - please.
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:26 PM

I would stick with the fight plan. IMHO you need more time in Prague than in Budapest. Also - the train ride is like 8 hours - and I understand not that exciting.
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks nytraveler, I'm leaning towards the flight option, just wanted someone elses opinion on it. I think we will experience enough train travel Prague to Krakow to Gdansk.
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM

I'M DEBATING THE SAME THING , I DID FIND A FAST TRAIN THAT WOULD ONLY TAKE 3 HOURS RATHER THAN THE 6.5 AND IT WAS ONLY $110 CANADIAN DOLLARS , SO WHATS THAT ABOUT 50 EURO ?? IF YOU HAVE TIME LET ME KNOW IF YOU FLEW OR TRAINED IT AND IF YOU WERE HAPPY WITH IT .
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ajax
Which website did you find the three hour train on?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:06 AM

I believe the fastest timing on that route is a direct (no changes) train which takes 6 hours and 35 minutes.

I think Ajax is mistaken.

I have taken the train/route in question and would agree that there is really no "spectacular" scenery to be viewed.

As to the flight...I would keep in mind any and all checked luggage weight restrictions that will inevitably have to be met. Also, the security issues requiring early arrival at the airport and the subsequent waiting and how much time that, along with the flight, and the trip into Prague at the other end will actually take.

Trains from Budapest often arrive at Holesovice in Prague which while not in the very center of things is somewhat closer than the airport.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

We are staying 15 minutes by foot to Prague castle, so I'm assuming it is a pretty central location. Also our host has offered to meet us at the train station or airport. How many airports in Prague?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:15 AM

The only one that matters is the one you fly into...I think there is only one main airport.

I am sure your location in the city is fine.

My point is that even though a flight itself can take far less time than a rail trip when you add all the other requirements the time difference between the two can be much less.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:07 PM

euro rail''s website
the train leaves budapest at 745pm and arrives in prague at 1120pm
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:47 PM

I think you're mistaken, too, but I could be missing something in the train maze. The best I see is with 1 change, 6 hours, up to 13 hours and 4 changes. I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be direct service to a different country.

Anyway I would definitely fly, that SmartWings flight sounds good and will give you 3 days in Budapest. Make sure you're clear on luggage requirements. Wow, you're covering a lot of ground, lots of train time no matter what! Have a great trip.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Lots of train travel. Also lots of flights. Carcasonne to London, London to Zurich, Stuttgard to Berlin, Berlin to Budapest, Budapest to Prague. Then the trains in Poland. Does anyone have any ideas on getting a train from Poland to Frankfurt. (We fly home from Frankfurt).