Budapest to Prague?

Search

Budapest to Prague?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest to Prague?

Dear travellers: Does anyone know the best way to get from Budapest to Prague? any idea how much they cost?
Any over-night trips?
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 11:33 AM

raileurope.com
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 12:26 PM

About three years ago we flew. Was very fast and convenient and inexpnsive - I think about $175 each. A friend took the train last year and said it takes the entire day (but she might have taken the cheapest slowest train - that would be like her.)
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 12:51 PM

I find 3 direct trains daily from Budapest to Prague on most European railway's sites. Two day-time fast Eurocity trains that leaves in the morning and take 6:40, and a night train with both sleeper and couchetts that take that 9:53.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

thank you, guys
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 05:42 AM
JonJon

As much as I love to travel by train, and I've done the Budapest-Prague trip several times, be aware that it is not a great "scenic" trip such as that over the Aarlberg from Austria into Switzerland or up over the Brenner Pass, etc., but it is easy to do. If time is of the essence I would consider flying as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Also, be aware that some of the Budapest-prague service stops at the Prague Holesovice station and NOT at Hlavni Nadrazi (the "main" downtown station) but there are cabs and public transport services available from Holesovice....if using a cab try to negotiate the privce in advance as some Prague cabs are as crooked as some of the ones in Budapest.
All in all, enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 05:49 AM
wj1

Hi. We did the opposite trip (from Prague to Budapest) and rented a car. It took a lot of hunting but finally ended up with Budget RAC (via Auto Europe) for $340 ($303 euros) including drop-off, insurance etc. for 4 days. This was cheaper (and better as far as we were concerned) than the cost of two air fares. If you decide to rent a car, I suggest you call Auto Europe rather than just use their web site. If you get someone good on the phone, they will go through the different rental agencies and find the one with the best deal. I had no idea that the different agencies for which they broker have different prices. You need to search out to get the least expensive agency from Auto Europe.

FYI: It didn't take four days to drive from Prague to Budapest. Three days were spent in Cesky Krumlov. The last day we drove straight from CK to Budapest.

Whatever you do, have a great trip.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:00 PM

I booked weeks ago my flight with
czech airlines from Budapest to Prague
for $170.00 ea. round trip, but I think
is about $280.00 now. Still keep check
ing some times it goes down.
www.czech airlines.com