Bologna university quarter...help needed

Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Bologna university quarter...help needed

Dear Fodorites
I have just booked a two day break for a group of friends (all in their twenties) to Bologna for June 9th to 11th; mainly to sample the Bolognese nightlife.
Having read some guides though, it seems that this may be a bad time to visit the city, as student term dates have ended.
Does this mean that most nightspots and bars in the university quarter and in and around the Via Zamboni will be closed during this period? If so, I can re-book the trip for any time from this week (23th June) up to 9th of July; will this make any difference?
I'm fine with there being few actual students there but it would be a shame to visit the city without the famous university nightlife buzz.
If no-one can provide any help with regards to this rather specific question, I would similarly appreciate any tips for good cheap, central restaurants/trattorias/osterias/pubs etc in bologna, and any advice on what to do during our few days there.
With kind regards

Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

topping
Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

please...anyone...I need form a decision as to whether I should re-book for a different date
Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

oh...and I meant July 9th to 11th!!
(as sadly my time-travelling device seems to be playing up on me; I knew I should have asked for a receipt.
Direct quote from Frank at the Levi Store: "Yeah I know it looks like a pair of low-cut denim chinos, but trust me...special powers)
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to annoy again, but I also need help with hotels;
Hotel Paradise and Hotel University. Haven't found much on Fodor.
They're both 3 stars. Can't decide between the two. There's more info on Paradise on the net but I like the sound of University's location. Anyone know of them.
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Me again
Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:01 AM

I stayed at Hotel University last fall. Location fine, rates reasonable by Bologna standards, room small-ish and dark-ish but adequate (I refused the first room I was shown), bathroom (with shower only) adequate only if you are not chubby---I am not chubby, and if I dropped the soap I pretty much had to step out of the shower to retrieve it. Hairdryers, TV, etc. all fine.

I think the Paradise is part of the same group (Golden Group).

The last time I stayed in Bologna (the previous year) I stayed at the Sofitel, just opposite the train station. Not quite as central but still fine, and a much (much much) nicer hotel for less money. My room that time had been booked through an Italian university, so that probably accounted for the discounted rate, but you might be able to find something similar through a discounter.

Bologna has lots of trade fairs, so hotels are relatively expensive.

As to the student nightlife question I can't really help you there, as I was there just as students were returning for the fall. It won't be as dead as August (truly truly dead then), at least.
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:36 AM

I just saw your message. The nightlife will be pretty dead. And as Alice said, it will be really dead in August. I would rebook for late September, early October if possible.
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:30 PM

SantaChiara:

Are you mistaking me for Alice? We post to the same threads, but we're not the same person. Or maybe you're referring to another thread.
Jun 26th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response.
Apart from the student areas, will any of the rest of central Bologna eg Piazza Maggiore, Via del Pratello be busy during this period? We don't need lively nightclubs, just a nice atmosphere in an area where life continues until fairly late into the night. Also, if anyone could suggest any good cheap central restaurant/ osteria/ bar/ trattoria/ pub etc it would be much appreciated.
Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Topping
Jul 10th, 2003, 11:12 AM

I guess this is a little late as you are there already....

If you are walking back from downtown towards the train station (off of Via Independenza), there's a little trattoria off an alley on the west side of the street. The name is something like Danielle, or Donatella. Sorry I can't remember any other details, but it was the best restaurant we ate at in Italy. Our Italian is really poor, and they didn't speak english, but the owner(?) was absolutely fantastic with us. My husband got a gnocci with truffle sauce and I got pasta bolognese with fried artichokes on the side. It sounds simple, but it was one of my all-time most memorable meals.

Just make sure you like Parmesan cheese.

Search this Thread