Search

Bologna

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bologna

My wife and I will be visiting Bologna December 26 and 27. We would appreciate recommendations for lodging ($60 - $100), moderately priced restuarants, and sites to visit.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 10:15 PM

You might be interested in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34607146
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 10:38 PM
vnh

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for but I can tell you NOT to book the TOP Hotel Park Bologna. It is allegedly 4 star but i've stayed in better youth hostels and it was the worst hotel experience I've ever had (it often comes up quite cheaply in the booking sites). Long story about the experience which I won't go into here..
I posted a review on tripadvisor too but i want to stop anyone i can making the same mistake i did!
Bologna, however, is beautiful but i was only there for one day so don't really have much other information about it!
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 04:33 AM

We've been to Bologna many many times, and always stay at the Hotel Commercianti. It has two huge advantages: the most central location imaginable, right off the Piazza Magiore, and still extremely quiet (it's on a small side street facing the church - no traffic in that street, just a few pedestrians). Friendly service and an excellent breakfast. However, prices are definitely higher than your maximum price! Frankly, I think it will be impossible to get a good hotel in the center of Bologna for that price. You may be able to find a hotel at the edge of town or a youth-hostel type place for that amount, however. (Somebody told me that hotel prices in Italy have doubled or tripled since the introduction of the Euro!)
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 05:03 AM
ira

Hi L,

You might find the Bologna part of my trip report helpful:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Old Oct 1st, 2005, 08:08 AM

I've stayed at the Albergo Centrale in Bologna, which fits in your price range. It's basic but clean and centrally located (a couple of blocks west of Piazza Maggiore). Google them and you'll find the contact info.

There's good eating in Bologna--sorry I can't recommend anything specific, but my usual practice is just to wander around and pick something. I'm bad about not writing down the names! I've never had a bad meal there though.

Things to do--not sure what'll be open right after Christmas, but I personally like the Museo Archeologico (it might not be for you if you're not into the Etruscans and Egyptians, though). The church of San Petronio is nice to visit. There's good shopping right around the Piazza Maggiore. The Pinacotheca (museum of paintings) is nice. I liked the medieval museum (I can't remember its official name)--it's definitely for history buffs, though. Mainly I enjoyed just walking around the city center, which is nice for exploring, mainly because it's not a "touristy" city. I like the architecture there.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 03:53 PM

We just got back from two weeks in Italy and really enjoyed the 24 hours we spent in Bologna - a fascinating city, with unique architecture and few tourists (at least it seemed that way to us). We stayed at the Holiday Hotel, booked thru venere.com, for $75/nt. It was clean and quiet with modern bathrooms and a pretty decent breakfast buffet. It was conveniently located, about a 10 min. walk from the train station and another 10 min. to the Piazza Maggiore, the center of the historic city. We had a very nice, but reasonably-priced dinner at Trattoria Anna Maria on Via Delle Belle Arti, in the university district. One place to visit that I would highly recommend is the Santa Stefano church complex, some of the buildings go back to the 8th entury and it's an incredibly peaceful and serene place with a very nice piazza in front.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 01:09 AM

Yes, I agree: the Piazza Santo Stefano is really the most beautiful square in Bologna, I think. While you are there, try to have lunch or dinner at restaurant Cesarina - excellent!
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 06:56 AM

We recently stayed at the Hotel Paradise in Bologna:
http://www.hotelparadisebologna.it/eng/index.htm
which was reasonably priced and very well located.

We actually had a small apartment with kitchen facilities across the street from the main hotel. Cost was under 100 euro (I think it was 95 € ), including a pretty good breakfast in the hotel.

Staff was very nice and helpful; the only minor complaint we had was that the room was rather dark.

I will be posting a trip report when I get organized, but in the meantime you might be interested in the blog my husband kept while we were traveling:

http://rozault.blogspot.com/

For the Bologna part, start by clicking on the blog for 9/18.

The best food we had was from the Slow Food list. We bought their book, but you can find the list online at the Slow Food Italian web site (www.slowfood.it) -- click on the link to Osterie. You do have to register to access the listings, and it does help if you can read Italian, but you can search and at least get the names and addresses of restaurants even if you don't know Italian.

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 02:33 AM

just back from Bologna. ate well and inexpensively at Trattoria del Rossa 30, via Augusto righi. it had the recommended by slow food sticker 2005 which was what I went by while looking for restaurants.