Bologna or Rimini ?

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bologna or Rimini ?

We plan to be in this part of italy for 4 -5 days. We shall come from Verona , we shall spend 4-5 days staying in one place and making day trips to visit Bologna, Ravenna, Rimini and San Marino. Where is better to stay, in Bologna or in Rimini? I looked on the map, it seems that is better in Rimini because from here are shorter distances to all these places.
but, Rimini is a smaller town comapred with Bologna, is it nice there in the evenings?
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Bologna tends to have inflated hotel prices due to frequent trade shows and conventions. On my recent trip to Italy, the Bologna hotel I stayed at - close to the center - was at the same time the least nice and the most expensive (80 Eur single room) of all of my stays in Italy.

I enjoyed a night in Bologna - I found the food terrific, the town lively and refreshingly un-touristy - but it wasn't exactly an unforgettable experience. I could have stayed in another town and done a day trip to Bologna. In fact, I'd probably consider one of the smaller towns instead.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:31 PM

I really enjoyed Bologna. It is a vibrant city with lots to do (you will need a few days to do everything). It also has great restaurants as they consider themselves a major food capital. We visited Ravenna from Bologna by train which was easy. I did not go to Rimini or San Marino.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:45 PM

i would opt for the old part of bologna- hotel roma was fine. public transportation if easy to get to other places from there
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the answers.
I asked about Bologna after I read a thread 'Bologna or Turin" where the advices were to choose Turin over Bologna. So I started to think that maybe it is a better idea to stay in Rimini.
However, based on your answers, probably I'll not change my original plan - to stay in Bologna.
Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Rimini is probably the most un Italian town I have stayed in in Italy. A UK person would describe it as Blackpool on sea. It's basically a long strip of touristy shops open all day and evening and a long strip of hotels and beaches. They even have a pub called the English pub there.

San Marino is gorgeous. If you go to the square where the town hall is there is a lovely restaurant there. Quality of food and service excellent and the prices are amazing. San Marino exists as a seperate state within Italy and you will find everything is much cheaper there.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:48 AM

I agree about San Marino: how cute it is and the best restaurant in San Marino, really it is Taverna Righi as ferryann suggested.
Anyway, between Bologna and Rimini I suggest Rimini but, rather than Rimini I want to suggest you Santarcangelo di Romagna, one of the best Italian small towns for the Italian quality of life or, in other words, the wellness made in Italy.
Santarcangelo is close to Cesenatico and Cervia and from Cervia it is easy to go to Ravenna.
Santarcangelo is close to San Marino and San Leo and, so, not far from Urbino.
Other cute small towns are Verucchio and Longiano.
Obviously, I strongly suggest Santarcangelo di Romagna only if you have a car, otherwise problems.
In Santarcangelo di Romagna there are few very good restaurants, and lovely bar for happy hour.
Also hotels are very good and cheaper than Bologna and Rimini.
Santarcangelo di Romagna is a small hidden treasure of Italy.

Vincenzo