salve from Bologna...

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
salve from Bologna...

Arrived Saturday. Day tripped to Modena today - what a great, quiet, sophisticated city. They dont call it the mink city for nothing. As they say - you cant get a bad meal in Bologna. White truffles are in season - tortellini in brodo - culatello - venison - rabbit - green lasanga. The lambrusco wines are a perfect match for the flavorful food. Meandering underneath the porticos - climbed the due Torre - San Stefano is amazing. And the men are handsome, stylish and swagger in that just so-oh Italian way.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 02:31 PM

So you are having a good time then?!
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Day tripped to Parma today - the duomo and bapistry(sp?)are amazing. A bit of a different vibe than Modena or Bologna but still very enjoyable. For tomorrow - Ravenna. This has been a great vacation - sleeping somewhat late, eating and drinking too much and not thinking (or caring)about work.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 10:49 AM

I'm jealous! I just found out my plans to visit Bologna at the only time I have off coincide with a huge convention and things are all booked. I am living vicariously through your trip! Thanks!
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Carta_Pisana, sorry you are not having a good time, lol!

Seriously though, isn't Bologna fantastic. The only thing that worries me is I am afraid as more travellers discover Bologna that it will get overun with tourists as so many other places in Italy have.

If you have time just 15 minutes walking time from the central center of Bologna, toward the northwest by the River Reno, is a new arts area. This was formerly a manufacturing and slaughter house area. Very blighted. I has been turned into an art center (called Factory of the Arts) and sounds like a fun place to visit. I have not been there but there was a great article in CNN/Travel about it.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM

I am soooo glad I will be visiting Bologna next May!
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Actually I haven't been turned into an art area "IT" has been turned into an art area. Memo to self, use the Preview My Reply Button, sigh.

Hi i_am_kane, I am sure you will love Bologna!! Suggestion, make your hotel reservation ASAP. Due to constant trade shows it is often very difficult to obtain a hotel reservation.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:45 AM

I looooove Bologna. If you have time and it's up your alley, check out the Museo Archeologico, which has a very good Egyptian collection (oddly enough) and nice Etruscan material (although in need of reinstallation). It's very near the Piazza Maggiore.

My favorite place to eat there is a place called Ristorante Carlo which is also near the Piazza Maggiore. I wish I could remember the street name! I found it by accident.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:15 PM

Blue Swimmer,

Have you checked out staying in Ferrara?
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:15 PM

LoveItaly,

Thank you for the heads-up. I knew Bologna was a "trade show" city, and room can get scarce at certain times.

I booked the Hotel Porta San Mamolo. It looks like a lovely hotel.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 03:56 PM

When I think of Boligna, I think Mercato delle Erbe, esp. for cheeses and salumi. The smells are maddening... (sigh)
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Sorry, Bologna
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Just got back from Ravenna - lots of incredible mosaics. San Vitale (the precursor to Hagia Sophia )- the basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe -the Neonian Bapistry. Weather has been perfect (same as last year in Venice) -is November the new September due to global warming? The number of day trips one can do from Bologna is astounding. Staying in Bologna tomorrow - a little more sight seeing and buying some nice italian leather shoes.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Hi Nessundorma-

Thanks for the suggestion here and on my other thread. We are now having an inter-marital debate over Italy versus the Caribbean for this vacation. If Italy (my vote!) wins, I am now looking pretty seriously at Puglia for this trip instead. I appreciate the help!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM

CP, where are you enjoying all the great food the city offers? Try to dine once at Da Cesari in the center of town south of main plaza. Excellent!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Carta Pisana,

I'm worried about the "new September" even as I enjoy it here in New York. It's incredibly warm here.

Glad you enjoyed Ravenna!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy - had lunch at Cesari yesterday (cheese flan with white truffles, lardo en crostini, tortellini con zucca). Funny mistake -I had dinner reservations there for the night before but accidently went to Cesarina instead - walked in and said I had reservations, uno momento signore they said - si, prego and was immediately seated, even though the restaurant was full. It wasn't until about half way through my meal did I realize my reservation was at a different restaurant.

Winding down - did a little (too much) shopping yesterday and today - its gonna be a hard candy Christmas this year. A chocolate festival is going on in the piazza now - dark chocolates filled with aceto balsimico, grappa , sambuca, limone, tabaco, etc, etc.

Had a wonderful meal out in the suburbs last night - didnt pull out a book durng the entire meal, just relaxed and drifted. Will post a report when I get back.

nessundorma - the weather is defintely atypical but Im not complaning, though a bit of misty fog enveloping the porticos would be very atmospheric. Ready to get back to NYC.