Rome: Where is this street?

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome: Where is this street?

While watching Lidia's Italian Kitchen today she featured a side trip to Rome. Lidia said one of her favorite streets in Rome is Via Julia. It apparently has a water fountain coming out of a wall that is fed from an original aqueduct. I will be in Rome in a few weeks and would like to visit this street. Does anyone know where in Rome it is located? I have several maps but was not able to find it.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 05:01 PM
J62

It's Via Giulia, I believe. Runs parallel to the Tiber near the historic center.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Via Giulia runs virtually parallel to the Tiber, the first N/S street east of the river between Ponte G. Mazzini (bridge) and Ponte Sisto (bridge).
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Is this it?...
http://z.about.com/d/goitaly/1/0/R/5...e-fountain.jpg

If you head from Campo de Fiori toward the Tiber, and pass by the left side of the Farnese, you'll see it at the end of the street, possibly via del Mascherone.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:13 AM

The DK eyewitness Guide to Rome has a walking tour of Via Giulia starting at the Ponte sisto.
Once you get to Rome you can also pick up a booklet called The Streets of Rome from the tourist office and have a detailed description of the Via Giulia and other interesting streets in the historic center of Rome.
Via Giulia was laid out by Bramante for Pope Julius II in the early 1500's.
The DK guide describes the Fontana del Macherone as a "curious" fountain "in which an ancient grotesque mask and granite basin were combined to create a Baroque fountain." It is just beyond the
Farnese archway across Via Giulia, an archway that was designed by Michelangelo as part of a project (never completed) to link the Piazza Farnese with the Villa Farnesina on the other side of the Tiber.

The walk along Via Giulia is very interesting and can easily be combined with a visit to the Piazza Farnese and the Campo de'Fiori
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:58 AM
ira

Hi N,

You can look up via giulia at www.viamichelin.com or www.mappy.com

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I doubt I would have ever found this street without the proper spelling. The directions you have given me are very good so I will explore this street and maybe fill a water bottle from the fountain.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:50 AM

This road is nothing special in my opinion. The fountain is nice enough but when you compare it to others in Rome you'll wonder why you bothered to find it. I'd go to this road if I was in the immediate vicinity but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.