? about Bologna hotels

Search

? about Bologna hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? about Bologna hotels

I am finding no availability for Bologna hotels (other than really,really high priced ones) for our dates end of September.

My question ...is there a chance that if I wait a month some would open up with cancellations?

I don't think we want to chance it and go in without reservtions.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 12:41 PM

You can keep calling back and see what breaks, but in the meantime, book in Ferrara.

There are trade fairs in Bologna all the time and the hotels get booked solid.

Another trick is to look for B&Bs in Bologna. Try the website B&B Italia. Business people don't tend to stay in B&Bs, even though they can be quite nice.

Good luck!

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Hello loisco, I have always had a problem getting a hotel room in Bologna due to the trade shows. Even with a friend in Italy that is a travel agent it has been impossible..guess because of always trying to get a reservation at the wrong time. So I have only had daytrips to Bologna. It is such a beautiful city.

Personally I like Ferrara and so I think that nessundorma's suggestion is a very good one. The last time I visited Bologna with some friends from the region of Veneto that is exactly what we did. We stayed in Ferrara (where one of my friends was born and raised) and drove into Bologna. Best regards and wishes that you have a very special time in beautiful Italy.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 01:09 PM

I'm having a difficult time posting this, but I'll try again.

When we planned a last-minute trip in April, none of the hotels in Bologna answered my e-mails.

As a last resort before deciding to go to another city, I tried the Orbitz link on Trip Advisor and they booked us at the very nice Hotel Internazionale for 90 euro/night.

That's the only time I have used Orbitz, but it might be worth a try for you.

Byrd
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ferrara sounds good but we have no car?..I will look into it and also try the B&B Italia.

I still have a few hotels by the rr station to look into..is it safe???????

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Ferrara is an easy train ride from Bologna. I think it is about 30 minutes.

I don't think of any area of Bologna as unsafe. Can you post the names of the hotels -- and have you checked for reviews of them on Tripadvisor?
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:38 PM

By the way, Ferrara is quite beautiful and has excellent food.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

I spent hours and hours on trip advisor and have checked every hotel. There are maybe 2 sites like asia.com or bookings.net with "offers" but the reviews on trip advisor were scary..and the places far away from the center.

I did find b&b's but my husband just doesn't want one. I am willing to try..he thinks they will be invasion of privacy I guess.. So we will I guess look into Ferrara ... You know I also need Turin hotels..hope I don't run into the same thing..

If Ferrara is only 30 minutes by train to Bologna I can't think why we just can't do a few day trips..

I do appreciate your help. These northern cities sound exciting.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM

I don't think you'll encounter the same problems in Torino. I stayed at the Hotel Victoria in Torino and very much liked it and its location. Although there is nothing unsafe about the train station area in Torino, I think the streets nearer the Piazza Castello or the Piazza Carlo in Torino are nicer. I'll also point out the Lingotto area of Torino (the site of the old Fiat factory) has highly rated business hotels, but it is far from the major tourist sites.

This is a good website for Torino with descriptions of hotels, restaurants and cafes.

http://www.extratorino.it/ENG/index.php

If you like movies, don't miss the cinema museum and if it's a clear day, be sure to get an admission ticket that includes a ride to the top in a glass elevator for a wonderful view.

I hope someday your husband has a chance to stay in an Italian B&B. They are generally family run and extremely friendly, and have private baths. They are often in old palazzos, so they can be roomier than hotel rooms. They are spotlessly clean and usually 100 euros less than a 3 star.

The big cities may not be the best places to experiment with them, but sometimes in the countryside they are truly the best option.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

I will search hotels again and if I may post the names here..but they were not suitable. At our age it's really important that we be fairly close to things as we tire easily...at least my husband does. He is 78!

I am trying hard to convince him of a b&b and did find one that seemed nice ...I will have to see if it's available.

Thanks for the posts on Torino. Yes one of the reasons I want to go is that cinema museum....

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:01 PM

What do you want to do in Bologna? Part of the reason I ask is that in terms of walking around and eating, Ferrara is equally rewarding, and perhaps even more relaxing and charming. Bologna has some unique offerings -- the Morandi museum, a medical museum, and some very famous restaurants and food markets. But the restaurants can also be places to have lunch, and you can always arrange to be in town on market day.

B&Bs in large cities are very often upstairs -- with no elevator. So I'll give your husband a break on that one!

Don't feel like you'll be stuck "on the outskirts" if you book instead in Ferrara. It's an historic town in its own right. Have you seen pictures?

http://tinyurl.com/mkwm9
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:27 PM

A few years ago we had the same problem. And, my husband is approx. the same vintage as yours - Only room I could come up with was at the Grand Hotel Baglioni for $349. Finally, DH said... oh the h--- with it... book the room..... So, I did... and we were upgraded to a suite (guess they had run out of regular rooms by the time we arrived.) Anyhow... it was probably the nicest hotel experience we've ever had. Service, breakfast, etc. were perfect. Now, I'd visit again at almost any price. (Tho I doubt I'd spring for a suite -
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

OK I think we will go to Ferarra. We had 3 nights planned for Bologna so do you think we should just stay 3 nights in Ferrara?...do a day trip one day to Bologna?..frankly we will be coming off a tour earlier in September and those two nighters kill us..getting older is tough...

Ravenna sounds great too?...

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

None of the Bologna hotels are available..even that Baglione..we were willing to spend more. I am almost afraid to try the Ferrara hotels now...I am so use to having them say no avaialbility.
Thanks all. Now I will have to search and post for a hotel in Ferrara...
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Ravena IS great. Truly great. I almost suggested it to you in my last post, then I deleted it, not knowing your itinerary.

Most people do day trips to Ravenna from Bologna -- but why not the other way around?

Please don't feel singled out for special punishment because you can't find a room in Bologna. I couldn't find one the last time I tried to spend the night there and -- get this -- about 10 years ago I got sick in Bologna and ended up in the hospital, and my husband had to vacate his hotel room because there was a trade fair arriving and the hotel simply couldn't find room for my spouse anymore!

We could all get rich creating a new hotel in Bologna.

Ravenna's historic centre is actually very nice -- and the mosaics are beyond description, they are so beautiful. There are actually many nice, historic towns in that part of Italy -- and lots of good food wherever you go.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Hello loisco, again I agree with nessundorma. Ravena is another beautiful city! And another city that is so easy to walk in. It sounds like nessundorma and I like the same places, but many others do also.

A bit of research will help you decide. You don't indicate how many nights you have for this area but if you have time perhaps two nights in Ferrara (and then you could train to Bologna for the day) and one or two nights in Ravena would be lovely for you. All three cities are very easy to walk in which should be good for your husband. Best regards.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

. I am almost afraid to try the Ferrara hotels now...I am so use to having them say no avaialbility.
Thanks all. Now I will have to search and post for a hotel in Ferrara...you've all been great. Nessundorma I love that Torino website. It will help I am sure.

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Do you use the Venere website?

You can call up Ferrara, punch up your dates, and get at least some picture of what's available. Plus they have user reviews (which I double check against Tripadvisor).

http://www.venere.com/search/?lg=en&...d=737&ref=
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

OIh dear..I am getting depressed. Looks like Ferrara is booked too. I have't done all the hotels but most. Should we just go to Ravenna?...we have 3 nights available. Sorry to bother all of you. Can we do a day trip to Bologna from Ravenna?..I am so tired of looking at hotels. Husband won't stay at a B&B

My email is [email protected] if someone wants to write me.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:13 PM

Why not post the dates you need a hotel and your budget?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -