Reload this Page >

Archeological Museum in Naples vs Mt Vesuvius

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:32 AM
elaine

I've read several recommendations here to combine a visit to Herculaneum with a visit either to Vesuvius or to the Naples Museum. <BR>Can someone comment on how I could do a visit to Vesuvius if I'm going to Naples only on a daytrip from Rome. Also, what are the treasures in the Naples museum? My many Rome guidebooks naturally don't discuss Naples.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 01:20 PM
carol

Hi Elaine, <BR> <BR>Believe it or not, the "Destinations" section of this site has a terrific, detailed guide to Naples, including the museum, of course. The National Archaeological museum has the best collection of mosaics and frescos from Pompeii in the world; the Farnese collection of Greek and Roman sculpture (collected by one of the Renaissance popes)and is not to be missed; and the Gabinetto Segredo, an amusing (and sexy)collection of erotica from Pompeii--when you get to the museum, you have to make a reservation to see this exhibit. I've just spent a glorious ten days in Naples, and never even got to Vesuvius because Naples is such a delight. I'd finesse Vesuvius and just do Naples and its museum. BTW if you visit Naples on a Saturday, you can take a tour of the Teatro San Carlo--one of the most beautiful opera houses I've ever seen. The tour is only given on weekends and takes 30-40 minutes, I'm told. I saw an opera there, so I didn't take the tour.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Linda

Carol, welcome to the (albeit small) "I LOVE NAPOLI" club.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Celeste

Hey, I'm also one of the few but proud members of the I love Napoli Club! (Luckily for me, the Navy Reserve sends me there for free often!) <BR> <BR>I've driven up Mt. Vesuvius several times and the first few breathtaking views are nice, but then it's over. Go to the museum in Naples(and Pompeii instead of Herculaneum, if you can) It's typically Italian - not in the greatest order, a little dusty - but it's still amazing. Stay out of the train station area and you too will love Napoli!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Paulo

Are gentlemens also accepted in the Club? <BR> <BR>Don't loose any of your precious time with the Vesuvius. You may always admire it from a distance <BR> <BR>If you want to practice some Italian reading you may wish to give this site a shot (a few pictures): <BR>http://www.marketplace.it/museo.nazi...museo_home.htm <BR> <BR>Otherwise, for some text reading in an easier language see <BR>http://www.cib.na.cnr.it/mann/museo1/mann.html <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. If you start out with Naples and are struck by the feeling of eventually winging Ercolano, don't feel guilty Besides the Archeological museum (2 hours), you'd have time to stroll the city centre (2 hours - Sta. Lucia port and Castel dell'Ovo, Palazzo Reale, Piazza del Plebiscito, Teatro San Carlo, Castel Nuovo, etc), Spacca Napoli and its churches (2 hours - Sta. Chiara, San Lorenzo, San Severo, San Domenico) and the National Gallery in Capodimente (1 ½ hours).

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Annemarie

Elaine, <BR>Vesuvius is amazing. Pompeii is fascinating whether you're a history buff on not! By all means, go and hike up Vesuvius. It's easy, and absolutely worth the effort. I recommend going close to the closing time-I believe it's managed by some park service. In the evening there are less people and an even more breathtaking view-stunning! It's a must see, and you can do it at your leisure in 2 hours, but be careful of the train departures back to Naples then to Rome. I waited an hour for one! Take your camera!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 03:57 AM
elaine

thanks all for the great information, including the reminder that this Fodor's website itself has great information on many destinations <BR> <BR>Paulo, you may have "won me over" to seeing a bit of Naples with your mention of both the Arch. Museum and the <BR>Capodimonte Museum. I have a couple of pieces of Capodimonte porcelain and the history of it fascinates me. <BR> <BR>I think the day/evening is going to be <BR>Pompeii and Naples, perhaps I can work in Vesuvius in the evening, but perhaps not--I'll have to figure out the train arrangements.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 08:12 AM
carol

Elaine, <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, the Capodimonte Museum is not a porcelain museum, it contains the extraordinary Farnese collection of Renaissance paintings--Raphael and Titian in particular, and a fascinating collection of work by Neopolitan artists of the Renaissance through the Rococo periods. There is a wonderful porcelain museum in the Villa Floridiana in Naples called the Duca di Martino collection, but I doubt that you can fit it in on a daytrip from Rome. What a shame, you'll just have to return to Naples for a longer time!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:10 AM
Linda

Paolo, of course gentlemen are accepted into the "I Love Napoli" Club. After all, what would Bella Napoli be without the wonderful men who make this fantastic city so vibrant. (Of course, the women help, too, but Neapolitan culture DOES favor the men and the women are much less outgoing, kind of the anchor of their society, rather than the high-flying portion.) And I think you are one of the founding members, having read so many of your fantastic postings on the subject. Do you still live in Napoli? If so, I'll look forward to meeting you on my trip there in 2002.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 12:36 PM
elaine

okay okay, I give up! It will be <BR>Pompeii, and as much of Naples as I can manage! Now I just have to figure out the train schedule so that I get back to Roma before midnight. <BR>Any suggestions for good pizzerias or trattorias near the Arch. Museum and/or the Napoli Centrale station? I'm going to need refreshment! <BR>Grazie a tutti

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 08:57 PM
Tommaso

Ciao Elaine, <BR> Definitely add me to the "I love Napoli " team. A great trattoria near the station is Mimi alla Ferrovia, and a good pizza can be found at Pucinello, down near castello nuovo. <BR> Also agree with Paulo, skip Vesuvius. <BR>Tommaso

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Besides the Archeological museum (2 hours), you'd have time to stroll the city centre (2 hours - Sta. Lucia port and Castel dell'Ovo, Palazzo Reale, Piazza del Plebiscito, Teatro San Carlo, Castel Nuovo, etc), Spacca Napoli and its churches (2 hours - Sta. Chiara, San Lorenzo, San Severo, San Domenico) and the National Gallery in Capodimente (1 = hours). (Copied from Paolo's post above!)
Ok, sounds great. My question:
We will be coming from a cruisehip docked at Naples for 12 hours. Do I need a guide to see that I can find all these places and get to and from the ship safely? Oh, and find me some of that wonderful Neopolitan food!
Carol
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:39 AM

Hi Elaine &gt;&lt; I will be traveling to Rome in September and I want to make the same day trip as you. Although, I've read the Herculean is also a must see. Please let me know how your visit to Pompeii and Naples goes. I'm especially interested in the train times, etc.

Have fun!

eve
[email protected]
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:44 AM

Hi
I saw this topic today and it interested me and then I saw that it was my question from two years ago.

I've noticed over the past couple of days that some very elderly threads are being revived.

MizzEve, as it happens, I didn't go to Naples or Pompeii on that trip.
Rome was just too wonderful.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:47 AM

Wow, I didn't even notice the date
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 09:09 AM

me neither.
Blush,
Carol

Oh welll, maybe Paola or another Neopolitan enthusiast will find this thread and reply to it.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 09:43 AM
dln

I hope so too! My husband and I are definitely going to do Pompeii, but I was undecided about Vesuvious. We saw the photos of it on the website of the hotel we're staying at (Il Nido in Sorrento) and I thought it looked like a big pile of rock and black sand.

Now I've read some of the these replies about Vesuvious and I think we shall give it a shot.

Fodorite personal experience is a great thing, isn't it?

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 12:38 PM
ira

Hi Mama,

Try www.multimap.com for an interactive map of Naples.

If you try a text search (Naples AND Restaurants) you will get lots of recommendations.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 01:43 PM

Hi
for those still interested in this info, use the box at the top to do a search on the name Walter, or on Pompeii or Naples.

You should find an excellent posting from a couple of years ago from &quot;Walter&quot; in which he gave great directions on this daytrip from Rome.
You'll also see input from others who have done this.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Ira &amp; Elaine,
Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I've got the search engine whipped into shape.
Carol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -