Best way from Rome to Positano in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2014, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im trying to travel with a friend from Rome to Positano this November. Were having trouble finding a cheap and easy way there though because of the time of year. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Oct 27th, 2014, 02:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd guess that the best way in the winter season is train to Salerno and then bus from there. Alternatively you could train to Naples, local train to Sorrento and then bus.

However, if you check your other thread, Positano may not be a great idea in mid November.
Old Oct 27th, 2014, 03:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Time of the year doesn't have anything to do with the public transport option or prices.

The cheapest option would probably be a slow train to Naples that takes hours or book one of the advance purchase discounts on the fast trains. From Naples, you have to take the local commuter train to Sorrento (about 4€) and then switch to a bus there (another 4€ or so).

There's a bus (Marozzi) from Rome Tiburtina station to Sorrento (about 20€), but it's typically once daily and the times might not work for you.
Old Oct 27th, 2014, 04:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand that the Marozzi bus from Rome to Positano doesn't run after the end of September, hence my comment about the winter season. I've checked the Marozzi website and it says that the service is not available in November.

I still question the wisdom in staying in Positano in November, when most things are closed.
Old Oct 27th, 2014, 04:36 AM

As well as quite a few closures of hotels and restaurants the ferry service is often wither stopped or severely limited that time of year. Not sure why you are going to a beach resort in off season - but it may also affect your ability to get to Capri due to rough seas and it's very unlikely you can't get into the Blue Grotto.

You may get cool, brisk days - but can also get chilly rain - not the best idea for a beach resort unless you want to be incommunicado.
Old Oct 27th, 2014, 07:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Marozzi bus still runs to Sorrento. It only goes on to Positano for a few months in the summer. That's why I said Marozzi bus to Sorrento, not Positano.

>>>hence my comment about the winter season. <<<

I was responding to the OP's statement about "Were having trouble finding a cheap and easy way there though because of the time of year." The fare prices/schedules for trains don't change (schedules/prices are released for 6 months at a time and current schedules run from 2nd Sunday in June until 2nd Sunday in December).

The public Sita buses cut back on late night Sita buses between Sorrento and Salerno, but don't cut service entirely - still plenty of runs.
Old Oct 27th, 2014, 07:20 AM
ekc

"Time of the year doesn't have anything to do with the public transport option"

Yes, it very much does. After October 31, ferry travel is no longer an option and the SITA schedule is reduced.