Rome & Amalfi Coast

Search

Rome & Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome & Amalfi Coast

Are the trains the best way to move between Rome and Positano. 3 days in Positano. 1 day in Capri. Best route and which train class is recommended. Can I wait until Rome to buy train tickets. Hotel recommendations in Positano and Capri would be great, too. Very clean and fair priced, possibly 4-star rated, for late April, early May. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 11:27 AM

There is no train station in Positano, so you can't go all the way by train. Your choices to arrive in Positano are car, bus, or boat.

From Rome, you can take a train to Naples, Sorrento, or Salerno, and then you can take a car, bus or boat to Positano. If money isn't a concern, you can hire a private driver from Rome or from Naples to take you to Positano.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM

There are probably about a hundred threads on this subject. Suggest doing a search (do an advanced search, see above upper right) and returning with questions.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 04:49 AM

I actually live in Sorrento. The best way is take the train from Rome to Naples. You can either take the Frecciarossa that takes only an hour or the Intercity which takes a little over 2. Then you will take the Circumvesuviana, which is the regional train from Naples to Sorrento. Then, when you arrive in Sorrento at the train station you can take a bus to Positano. According to me, that is the cheapest and easiest way to get to Positano.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 09:02 AM

And, for the change of trains in Naples, this may be a help...

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-or-pompei.cfm

Peter

PS
Hi Sarah - and welcome!
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. Another question. If we want to see Pompeii, should we train/bus from Rome to Positano, and hire a driver for a day trip to Pompeii from Positano?
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Hire a driver who will collect you at the Naples train station, take you to Pompeii and wait while you tour the site, and then drive you to Positano.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 04:32 AM

Call me cheap, but it always seems ludicrously wasteful to pay a driver to sit outside somewhere such as Pompei - where a decent visit could well take four hours or more...

http://www.pompeiviva.it/pv/en/mappa...rsi_pompei.htm

This firm, for example, charges €40 an hour for excursions - which is perhaps OK whilst you're being driven around, but a rather expensive way to view the ruins?

http://www.amalfi-drive.com/fares.html

If the hour's trip on the SITA bus seems a bit slow, why not look into having a local taxi run you to Sorrento and, from there, take the Circumvesuviana train to the Pompei Scavi station? It's very easy, and you'll probably find many others making the same pilgrimage!

Peter
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 05:08 AM

Hi,

I'm a local too...everybody answers on transportation promptly and gave u good advices ...on accommodation side well, as I always say it's a matter of budget and needs..r u a couple?? are u with family?? are there any teenagers???it depends on u and ur crew needs our ideal base...

please consider that 24th April is easter and it is very high period as in accommodation's rates but from this date rates might be very reasonable...

Sorrento is a perfect base to visit Capri and Amalfi coast:

according to my personal opinion :

4 star (center and all amenities required) : Hotel europa Palace

5 star (parco dei principi hotel stylish and edgy as architecture )

budget :bb magnolia (family run and nice atmosphere)

- Capri (reasonable on week days) try Relais Maresca good or Hotel La Palma (right in the Piazzetta so very very expensive)

Positano (my gem of Amalfi coast)

- try a bb run from people of www.saracenodoro.it ..for not fluffy people who want to be feel as fam ily member and mix with locals

splurge : syrenuse or san pietro..best hotels on earth (VIP goes there..might find close to Kate Moss or Julia Roberts as neighbour)

of course many others with good reputation but those are my fav...

hope these tips might help..if u want to know more ask openly..

divertiti e buona vacanza ;-)
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 05:57 AM

I am not the OP, but I just wanted to say that this forum has the nicest, most helpful people. It is great that you guys take so much of your time to help-and always such detailed information. I REALLY appreciate all the posters on this forum.