Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from Naples airport to Positano, then Positano to Rome

Nov 29th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

We will be arriving at Naples airport at 10:30 a.m. In the past, we have rented a car, driven it to Positano and let it sit for free for several days, then driven it to Rome where it also sat.. This time we have to pay for parking, so what would be the best way to get to Positano by public transport? Then we go to Rome where we can't use the car either, so how would we get to Rome by public transport from Positano? I've seen older threads on this, but nothing current. Thank you all. Joan
Nov 29th, 2012, 04:38 AM

I would take the train from Naples to Sorrento and catch a SITA bus over the mountain from Sorrento to Positano. The train station in Sorrento is right by the bus station.

As for Positano to Rome, I would backtrack to Sorrento, Naples, then to Rome from Naples. I'm not certain, but you may be able to get to Salerno by public SITA bus and Rome from there. Double check on that.
Nov 29th, 2012, 04:52 AM

Salerno to Rome is a more direct route - about 2 hours on the train with no connections.

The other option is bus to Sorrento and bus to Rome (about 4 hours).
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:45 AM

Hire a driver to/from Naples/Positano.
Then, train to Rome from Naples.
Nov 29th, 2012, 06:58 AM
ekc

If you are there when the ferries are running, you can take the ferry from Pos to Salerno and then direct train from Salerno to Rome.

And I agree with BTN, get a driver from Naples to Pos - usually about $100 euro.
Nov 29th, 2012, 08:28 AM

Private driver from the airport. Carrying your luggage around public transporation and up many stairs in Positano from bus stops to hotel is hard, especially if it is high noon on a sunny day and you have just taken a long flight involving changes of plane.

Heading to Rome, you need a private driver to Naples train station, then train to Rome, and taxi to your lodgings.