Best way to get to Positano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going down to Positano for a few days and will be coming from Rome. I am looking to find the best and easiest way to get there.

I was considering taking a train to Salerno then a boat on up to Positano. I know I could also go to Naples and then take a bus to Positano.

I'm curious though which way is better, or more direct? Is there a major difference in time using the different routes? Is one more scenic than the other?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:21 AM

My husband and I went from Rome to Positano last May and with a huge amount of help from posters on Fodors forums, I was able to select a great route. Specifically, we took a Trenitalia train from Rome's Termini to Napoli Centrale which took about 2 hours 20 min. Then the Circumvesuviana train from Napoli Garibaldi (stazione centrale f.s.) to Sorrento which was about 1 hour. Then the SITA bus from the square in front of the Circumvesuviana station in Sorrento to Positano. We got off at the Chiesa Nuova stop in Positano for our hotel. Hope this helps!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, it would depend on the time of year. If high season summer, I'd hire a driver from the Naples train station, or if budget is an issue, train to Salerno and ferry to Positano. The second option may not be the fastest, but it would be more pleasant than the train to Sorrento and then bus to Positano. Again, depends on the time of year, and just MO.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:44 AM

In addition to the routes you mentioned, you can go straight to Sorrento if you are already staying in Rome using a bus from the Tiburtina station.

http://www.marozzivt.it/web.aspx

or

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM

We did the train from Rome to Salerno and the SITA bus, which was very easy because the bus stops right at the train station. The ferry would be lots of fun, though. We probably would have done that but we were traveling in the winter.
Old May 4th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

I am going in mid September. And I was leaning towards the Salerno route, but the private driver from Naples is an option I didn't consider. I'm not worried about price, so my question would be which way would be the best way to take in all the scenery? Private driver from Naples or taking a private boat from Salerno?
Old May 4th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

And thanks for the responses so far! All have been helpful.
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Or a driver from Salerno.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:05 AM

If you aren't worried about price, then I recommend a private driver directly from Rome. That's what we did on our last trip and it was so worth it to not have to worry about anything. Our driver stopped at an Auto Grill for coffee & restroom break, as well as different scenic spots on the way.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sherhatfield.. thats another option to consider. I'll have to look for some driver services. I'm just worried that the drive will take longer than the train would and would rather get there quicker to have more time to spend visiting Positano and other areas.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:31 AM
ira

Hi chaz,

I think that going via the Salerno ferry is more comfortable and very scenic.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:41 AM

Since budget is not a big factor, take the train to Salerno and then have a driver take you to Positano. The scenery will be gorgeous and you will not have to wait around for ferry connections or drag your bags from the dock to your hotel.

I have the name of a driver based in Maiori (mentioned in my trip report; if you cannot find it, I will post it here if you like) and you can probably get many other names if you want to go this route.
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:11 AM

Hi! I had a similar trip in 2006 for my honeymoon. We hired Angelo Fratini in Rome and took a private car down to Almafi for the day to see Positano, Almafi & Ravello. It was beautiful and Angelo was absolutely incredible and knowledgable. http://www.rometourinlimo.com/contact.html

If you do call him please mention that Natalie & Chris referred you from NY.

Also, in 2007 my husband and I went back to Rome for my birthday and trained down to Naples. We took a taxi to the waterway and ferried over to Capri for a few days, then ferried from Capri to Positano for a few days. It was lovely and very affordable to travel. We saw Angelo again in 2007 and met him for a drink at the Excelsior. He's such a wonderful person - if you do contact him, you'll love him!

Have a wonderful trip!
Old May 5th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy - I've been reading your trip reports and you are killing me right now. I'm working over in Afghanistan right now (been here for a month - with 4 more to go until I leave and head to Italy) and have been eating at military chow halls. My stomach is in nots dreaming of the food you have described. I'm seriously in pain.

If you ever get back to the Bologna area, try a trip up to Parma. I had heard about a place there and had to try it after looking at their website and menus. It's called Parma Rotta. www.parmarotta.com

I'll be going back there again and can't wait!

Natc143 - I should be making a decision over the next couple of weeks and if I do book through the site you mentioned, I'll be sure to let them know I did this based on your recomendation.