Best Pizza in Naples, Italy

Feb 28th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Best Pizza in Naples, Italy

Hi to all,

Our family will be in Naples for three nights this summer as part of a twenty night Naples/Calabria/Sicily vacation and we are hoping you can recommend restaurants that serve the best pizza. We were in Naples a few years ago and fell in love with the city and its food so any specific places you can name would really help us out.

Thanks.

Andrea
Feb 28th, 2019, 07:51 PM

Sorbillo, Via dei Tribunali, 32
Mar 1st, 2019, 04:34 AM

First, the last I heard Gino Sorbillo’s place was bombed, presumably by the Mafia, in mid-January. I don’t believe it has re-opened yet. Sorbillo, who has opened places elsewhere including New York, has openly defied the Mafia and refused to make payments to them.

Having said that, Sorbillo’s is on via Tribunali, our favorite street in Naples. Another that comes to mind there is Pizzaria di Matteo. We have had several great pizzas, even a folded one serving street pizza, on that street.

A lot of people prefer L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele as another great option. It is also excellent.

We haven’t been there yet, but Pepe in Grani in the small village of Caizzo, about an hour’s drive from Naples, is the latest place that many are calling “the best pizza in the world.”

There is so much good pizza all over Italy. And, like anything, pizza can be a a very subjective thing. I generally can tell which one I would prefer by looking at photos. I prefer a thin pizza, with more sauce than cheese. I like a crispier crust than they make in Naples, but the Naples pizza is still really yummy. Here is a recent blog that seems to covert subject with photos: https://www.2foodtrippers.com/naples-pizza-guide/
Mar 2nd, 2019, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by whitehall View Post
First, the last I heard Gino Sorbilloís place was bombed, presumably by the Mafia, in mid-January. I donít believe it has re-opened yet.
It re-opened like three days later, there was no major damage, it is business as usual - which meant 1hour 50minutes wait when i last went.
Mar 3rd, 2019, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by vinoroma View Post
It re-opened like three days later, there was no major damage, it is business as usual - which meant 1hour 50minutes wait when i last went.
There is no pizza that is worth that wait in my opinion. Pizza is such a basic, simple product that it's difficult to see how one place can be so much better than another and therefore deserves such long wait times. Personally some of the best pizzas I've eaten have been made by myself in my Uuni pizza oven, some of the worst have been in Italy. The best pizza I've eaten in Italy was in Sorrento, the ones I've had in Naples have been so-so, I've eaten better in Rome. But as with everything food related, it's all so subjective, one person's "must eat" is another's "must avoid".