Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two honeymoon nights in Naples: central, or by the sea?

Feb 21st, 2019, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Hope to help my daughter decide on a hotel for the last two nights of their early October honeymoon. They will have been on the Amalfi coast just before that. It would be nice to have the last little bit be extra nice. At this point they are considering Hotel Palazzo Decumani, or if by the sea Grand Hotel Santa Lucia.

They like history, art, and cities, are normally landlocked in upper US Midwest.

Last I paid any attention to Naples, long ago, there was a garbage issue.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Feb 21st, 2019, 07:38 PM

For heavy-duty sightseeing, central. Perhaps they'll be ready and willing after the low-key days on the AC.

For a more relaxing vibe, by the sea.

ETA: I think Google street view gives you a pretty accurate representation of the immediate areas around both hotels. If it were me (decidedly not a young honeymooner), I'd choose the Decumani. Except in the summer! Then I'd choose to stay by the sea in hopes of occasional breezes.

Last edited by Leely2; Feb 21st, 2019 at 07:45 PM.
Feb 22nd, 2019, 06:13 AM

Leery has well summed up your daughter’s choice. The feel of the two locations will be quite different, intense, in the heart of the historical center vs expansive and relaxed. My personal experience: A solo traveler whose primary mission was sightseeing, I had a three night stay in Naples in May 2015 at the Hotel Piazza Bellini having considered the Palazzo Decumani. I’m not sure it would deliver on “extra nice”; look carefully at the current reviews and travelers’ photos on TripAdvisor. At the PD I’d book a suite to get more space. If by the sea, I’d ideally want the best possible view, either from my room or from a public room/terrace, and in Naples that would include Vesuvius so perhaps also look at the Excelsior and Vesuvio.

Last edited by bon_voyage; Feb 22nd, 2019 at 06:21 AM.
Feb 22nd, 2019, 07:21 AM

Leely.
Feb 22nd, 2019, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Leely, thanks so much. That does sum it up nicely.

I appreciate that, BonV. I'll check out those others.

My years-ago impression was of a scruffy city. I assume they want two nights in Naples to check out the culture, and they'll have been in more laidback settings before then. Otherwise I would almost be tempted to suggest another night on the Amalfi Coast before their pre-flight night in Naples. I speak out of personal ignorance, not having been to the south.
Mar 2nd, 2019, 05:24 AM

Among the narrow lanes in the historic center.
Mar 2nd, 2019, 08:18 AM

I didn’t care for Naples when we stayed at the piazza Bellini. My friends stayed at a somewhat upscale hotel by the sea, and enjoyed Naples more than I. That’s my only experience with Naples.

Completely beside this point (perhaps) I loved Palermo, which also has a gritty city reputation.
Mar 3rd, 2019, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Air B and tuscanlife.

I think they're going with the Romeo, as recommended in one of those fun NYT "36 hrs in Naples." The heated Vesuvius view pool clinched it. Back to real life afterwards.

http://www.romeohotel.it/naples/

I
need to get back to Italy.