Naples, worth going to?

Search

Naples, worth going to?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples, worth going to?

My husband and I and another couple are going to Capri and Positano in a week. We are spending 5 nights in each place. Plan on visiting Ravello, Amalfi, Pompeii and Herculaneum while in Positano. Not sure about Naples. Is it worth going? Heard it is a big city and nothing special. We have been to Italy and it's major cities many times.
Thanks for help
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Naples a b ig city with nothing special? I heard many things about Naples but this is the one thing that cannot be said to describe it. It is no doubt the most controversial city of Italy, eIther you love it or hate it , but it is very special.
, Naples used to be the Capital of a Kingdom It is in my opinion full of history, full of life. Great food, very nice museums as the Museo Archeologico Nazionale ( one of the most important of the world), a fantastic view over the bay. Please give it a try.
In recent years, Naples has made world headlines for its cultural renaissance and its fight against crime.
The compact center of Naples is filled with palaces, churches, convents and monasteries.
I guess that before visiting Naples it is important to get aquainted with its history, may more than in the case of other cities.
Do not miss its oldest cafe the Gran Caffe Cambrinuis, enjoy coffee with live music and centuries of history.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Pausanias

Best coffee and pizza in Italy. Wonderful street life, Great archeological museum. As Goethe said, "he who does not love Naples does not love Italy."

Actually, Goethe never said that, but if it's just <i>me</i>/people disagree.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM

The old saying goes: &quot;See Naples and die!&quot;

You should google Mark Twain Naples and read his account of Naples which is still mostly accurate!

I was there in May, it was chaotic yet wonderful!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. You have convinced me. We will definitely go to Naples.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:02 PM

I thought it was a horrible ugly disorganized city, but was worth it just to see the MANN.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:41 PM

Herr Pausanius, you are quite the philosopher.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
&quot;As Goethe said, &quot;he who does not love Naples does not love Italy.&quot;

Actually, Goethe never said that, but if it's just me/people disagree&quot;

If he didn't actually say it, he should have done.

I can understand why people may take an instant dislike to Naples, especially if their normal exposure to Italy has been limited to Florence or Venice. It is often dirty, neglected, chaotic and downright unattractive. If you arrive by train, the station is nearly enough to make one by an instant ticket back to Rome.

If you can look past the obvious dirt and disorganisation, Naples is a marvelous place. Walking down Spacconapoli , stopping occasionally for coffee and a sfogliata (?sp) is a wonderful experience. The restaurants serve , IMO, some of the best food in Italy.

Jayneyak - even if mainstream Napoli doesn't appeal, then I would still go to the national archaeological museum. It really adds to the experience of visiting Pompeii and Herculanium.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 12:10 AM

Keep an eye on recent news and developments. Apparently at the moment Naples is full of uncollected garbage - and citizens who are very angry about that.

I post news items from Italy daily via my Google Reader to http://www.beginningwithi.com/italy/living/current.html - if you go back a little you'll find several related to this.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 01:36 AM

Ok, now that you all are going, this is the right name of the oldest cafe in Naples, ( I miss spelled it before)
GRAN CAFFE GAMBRINUS, VIA CHIAIA 1, near Galleria Umberto I, not to be missed either, excellent expresso and cappuccino, delicous pastries . Open daily from early in the morning to midnight. Often there is live music.(pianist).
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:35 AM
ira

Hi J,

Try to see the Veiled Christ at the Capella Sansevero when you are in Naples.

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:12 AM

It is my hope to return to Naples one day for a week just so I can eat! We enjoyed Naples very much but didn't devote enough time to the city, just three days. I wouldn't pass it up.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:02 AM

I had been to Pompeii and Herculaneum
and done the Amalfi drive.
I stayed in Sorrento twice and finally went to Naples. It was worth it just to visit the National Museum it was amazing.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:12 AM

I travel a lot all over the world. Naples was by far the city I hated most. In fact itīs the only one I really hated. Itīs dirty, ugly and noisy.