garbage in Naples

Search

garbage in Naples

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
garbage in Naples

I am very sad, but I have to tell you the truth: let's avoid to go to Naples, now.
There is garbage everywhere and it is dangerous also for health.
There is no serious forecast to understand when status will be better.
I just spent one week in Penisola Sorrentina and there is almost no garbage but, I am very sorry, in Naples it is not possible to live in these moments.

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Vicenzo is there a strike?

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Naples is managed by an unauthorized gang! They have the contract to haul away the debris. It is not done with the required frequency. New incinerators are on order but held up with green, red and white tape. This is a wonderful time to learn how well off you are living whereever you do. The Napoleans (?) are managing, why not the tourists? Naples is one of the world's oldest tourist/traveller destinations.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM

I thought this had been resolved but apparently not

been going on for about a year or so and was subject of posts last spring
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 12:11 PM

For anyone interested in the underside of life in Naples and its area, I recommend this book, recently published in English:

http://www.amazon.com/Gomorrah-Rober...873&sr=8-1
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 04:11 AM

We didn't notice any problems when were there for a week in May-June 2006 & or when (admittedly just) passing through this June; so I think it's at most an intermittent problem
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

No strike, but anyway problems with tons fo garbage.
Last week I had to go twice to Naples: Saturday and Sunday and, believe me it is a very sad situation.

Vincenzo
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Ciao Vicenzo!
I am sad for you (and Naples) to be going through this time.

I knew there have been severe problems in many of the neighborhoods with garbage since the strike began, but are you saying the Centro Storico is now badly affected? I'll be coming there again in a couple of months, and would like to know what to expect.

hi ekscrunchy,
Thanks for mentioning Saviano's book "Gomorrah", which is fascinating. He had to go into hiding after writing it.
You (or others) might also be interested in the film "Vedi napoli e poi mori", a semi-documentary on modern Naples by Enrico Caria that was shown last year in NYC as part of the annual 49th Parallelo film festival. The film has a lengthy interview with Roberto Saviano, the author of "Gomorrah".

Caria is a journalist and filmmaker originally from Naples who now lives in Rome.

I'm glad you posted, because so many people were reading the book in Italy this fall, and I was looking around there for an English translation of it, and your post was a reminder that I can now get it!
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Ciao Vincenzo -

Che disastro! Is there a problem on the Amalfi Coast too?
Spero proprio di no!

Steve
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Because of my job I have to go to Naples on January 11 so that I will update you, no doubt.
Last week in Penisola Sorrentina there was almost no garbage meaning that the situation was almost normal: normal clean and normal . . . . noises !!!
About Amalfi Coast I did not go there but several friends of mine who live in Maiori and in Ravello told me that the situation is absolutely normal: no garbage.
Not the same, oh my God, for Pompei: garbage also there !

Ciao.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 07:36 AM

The Amalfi coast - and main tourist spots were kept garbage-free (well...as much as is normale for So.Italy anyway) even back when there were still strike issues big-time...I also noticed none in the Avellino area that was suppossed to be hard-hit.

I, personally, find Naples fascinating, but it is certainly not on my list of favorite cities (I know others will differ) - it has always been a dirty, grity sort of place (ever since I've been going anyway)...yes...even in the Centro Storico, it has always been rather dirty and with more garbage around than in many places in Italy. I think you have to take Naples for what it is and love it or hate it (or fall in-between, I guess, like me!).
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 01:09 PM

I was in Naples last January and there was no strike i think

but the place was extremely dirty anyway - the streets hopelessly littered and yes lots of garbage around
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Bella thanks for the film tip..I am about to attempt to find it on Netflix!

Interesting post...
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:51 AM

...no luck on Netflix....I would love to see that film.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:30 PM

hi ekscrunchy,
you probably already found this link: http://www.mymovies.it/dizionario/re...e.asp?id=46481

I don't know if it had commercial release here, but think it might be shown on Italian TV again in the future.

Or the festival organizer (at the Walter Reade) Richard Pena might be able to give contact information to the producers to find a copy. Sorry I can't be of more help!

I got my copy of Gomorrah and am deep into it....I had bought the Italian one and now reading the excellent English translation, I am catching details I missed!

Good luck, hope you find the film one day.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Oh, I also once ordered a film from Italy through Kim's Video, if that helps (you're in NY, aren't you?)
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:20 AM

"Vedi Napoli e poi MUORI" , not mori.
Sorry for the repeat posts!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Thanks, Bella. I will contact Kim's. I do wonder about Saviano's safety, even if he is in hiding!

The information on the fashion houses was particularly fascinating. (the Angelina Jolie chapter) The book was disturbing, scary and eye opening.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:07 AM

Hi ekscrunchy. I'm on that chapter now-but still at the auction.
This subject is totally engrossing, if scarey, to me! I'm thinking that somewhere in China there is a factory dedicated to turning out "Made in Italy" and "Made in France" labels and sending them to Naples to be sewn into clothes by African immigrants.

I'll always visit Naples, whatever the garbage status is.

ALso, If I ever find the film, I'll post the info in the Movies and Books forum with your name attached to the title.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:07 AM

Bringing this back to the original topic...

For a different view on "garbage in Naples", check out this ongoing trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35097167

She doesn't even mention garbage in Naples, and there is none that I can see in the photos she links to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -