Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best neighborhood / recommendation for Rome apartment?

Old Dec 11th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to get some recommendations of a great area in Rome to rent an apartment. We thought about Trastevere but we want to be in a historic area and building, I'm not sure how "new" and built up that area is. Has anyone had a great experience with an apartment rental or agency anywhere in Rome? Thanks!
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Trastevere is a great neighborhood. Not "new" or "built up" and not too far from the historic center.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Try looking at the apartments listed in www.sleepinitaly.com.

Those on Via Giulia, around Piazza Navona, Campo d. Fiore and the Pantheon....and Trastevere are in the historic area...small streets, some pedestrian only, good eateries.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, that's very helpful! I will check out sleepinitaly and see what I can find!
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM
SAB

I second the recommendations for Via Giulia, Piazza Navona, etc. Last year we rented an apartment near the Campo from sleepinitaly and were very pleased with the area--I thought at the time that Via Giulia would be a lovely location, as would the Trastavere near the river.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 01:43 PM

I lived in Rome for several years and had apartments all over. I agree with many of the recommendations above, though I would personally try to pick something around the Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Piazza Navona area. But you couldn't go far wrong with the others either. Stay away from Parioli and other snooty suburbian areas.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

I just read a description of Trastevere that described it as very touristy, having businesses that cater to foreigners, is that true? This is kind of what I wanted to avoid. I was hoping for an area with a little less tourists even if it was a bit further from the main sites. Anyone stayed in Testaccio?
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Testaccio is relatively non-touristy, but it's a neighborhood of late 19th-century working-class apartment blocks. It's being heavily gentrified, but it's not what I would call a historic area.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Rented an apartment on Via Giulia and simply loved the location. I would absolutely stay there again since it was so convenient, the street was beautiful and the area filled withhistory and charm. The apartment was Giulia gold I think with sleepinitaly---if you are interested, I will double check to be accurate.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM

With Sleep in Italy, check out Montevecchio Bis. About 100 meters west of Piazza Navonna, old and enjoyable.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 02:31 AM

Hello, I had a very good stay in a really nice apartment near Piazza Navona. Rome is magical, so I think every part of the historical centre should be a good choice. I made the booking on this website: www.apartmentsapart.com, they offer different apartments in different locations with low prices.
I hope you will find the best apartment for your stay..... Ciao Ciao
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 01:51 PM

daveesl: Can you tell me if the Montevecchio Bis apartment has a stand up shower? It doesn't look like it does, but I really like the apartment. I hope you see this.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Trastevere was WONDERFUL!!!! I would totally tell anyone who was going to Rome (who enjoys walking) to stay there. The food was almost half the price, the people in Trastevere were lovely and friendly, which is less than I can say for the historic center of Rome where they are exhausted with tourists. The food was cheap and fantastic, wow! I have an interesting story about our apartment, which I would not recommend, I'll have to post that later with my restaurant reviews. Overall, as someone who's been to Rome many, many times, Trastevere put a new spin on it and gets an A++ in my book. Super location, can't say enough good things about it!
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:01 AM

Giulia or others familiar with Trastevere - is it a convenient location to reach Vatican? My oldest daughter is traveling with her choir and will be singing in St. Peter's twice in June. The rest of us are looking for a less expensive way to go to Italy so are planning our own accomodations. Our other touring of the city won't be on much of a schedule, but we want to be sure to get to Vatican on time for her performances.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:09 AM

Hello Amy,

if you want to stay near to the Vatican I know a very nice B&B near there, just few minutes to get there. My friend booked a room with them last summer and he told me that it was great....nice breakfast and also free internet...
www.idealbandb.com try to ask them how much is it...I also rented an apartment in Rome last year on www.apartmentsapart.com , it was very well located next to Piazza Navona, we were 6 people, it was quite good. Cheers
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 03:50 PM

giulia, 8 of us ate staying in Trastevere in March so it's nice to read your glowing review of the neighborhood.....we have rented an apt. too.....hope it's not the one you stayed in...what was the problem? and where was it?