Rome apartment preference?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to hear any reviews of either Rome apartment, "Le Rondanani" (through sleepinitaly.com) near Pantheon, or the "Monserrato" (through rentalinrome.com) near Campo di Fiori and Piazza de Ricci! My husband and I are taking our two kids, 7 and 10 in June for three nights, and can't decided between the proximity to lively Piazza Navona, Pantheon, etc., or the neighborhood areas of Farnese and C. di Fiori. I like the Monserrato apt. better, but I think being able to go to P. Navona and soak up the atmosphere with the kids would be wonderful in the evenings. Thanks for any help!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:35 AM

This is just preference, because I haven't stayed at either apartment, but I'd choose Monserrato. A tiny bit less crowded feeling than right off Piazza della Rotunda.

Also, the areas you mention are actually very close to each other. You can hang out at Piazza Navona--probably a 5-10 minute walk from your apartment.

But do you have the links to the particular apartments? Perhaps one is much better for a family of four than the other.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Neopolitan

Here's a link for the Rondanini apartment.

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_rondanini.html

As I mentioned on quanciale's other post, we're renting this one for the first week in June. It's actually a couple of blocks from the Pantheon, not right off its piazza.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Thanks, Neo. Yes, I was being lazy. Once I get started on sleepinitialy--well, I am at work after all.

guanciale (which I love, by the way), I think both locations are good. There's a network of charming streets "above" Piazza Navona with numerous restaurants.

I like Monserrato and environs too. I think the only street I don't care for off Campo dei Fiori is...via dei Giubbonari (?). The one with all the tacky shops. Nowhere near Monserrato.

But really, this neck of the woods in Rome is smaller than it appears on a map. At least that's been my experience. You can traipse back and forth between all areas quie easily--and much further afield.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM

The "Monserrato" is actually a much better location, IMO. It is quiet, yet very close to Campo Dei Fiori, Piazza Navona and the Pantheon.

The neighborhood is beautiful (Michaelangelo designed many of the pallazo's in the area) and convenient to restaurants, cafes, and the foods stalls at the Campo (not to mention that BAKERY, OMG!). There is a place that sells artisan pastas, oils, and wines on Via Giulia which is one street back.

When I was there a few years ago, there were some small boys always playing ball or something on pedestrianized Via Giulia while grandpa sat in his folding chair out front. They are probably your sons age by now. All said, a perfect place for your family stay.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Neopolitan

I just looked at the Monserrato apartment. Location aside, this one is two bedrooms and two baths instead of the one and one of the Rondanini. With four of you it sounds much better, despite the higher price and the far lesser "designer look", it fact it is rather dowdy in decor. But if space and convenience is important to you (and I'd sure welcome having two baths with showers for 4 of you) I'd think it is the better alternative.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Great replies and conversation...thanks! Yes, Neopolitan, I'm still contemplating that great Rondanini location. What I like best about it is not the decor, but rather the "central" Pantheon location, yet it is still on a small, quiet square, Piazza Rondanini. The company also seems helpful. Not so sure about "rentalinrome." (Has anyone used them recently?)

Since I've only stayed in the Spanish Steps area and area just north of Navona, I'm not as familiar with the neighborhood of the "Monserrato" apartment, but it sounds wonderful, and the apartment is definitely more appealing. (Leely, I love that maze of little streets "above" Navona as well...near the Portoghese, I believe.) I did look up Piazza Ricci, since this apartment overlooks it, and found the geocities website, which "walked me through" the area and detailed the Michelangelo designed buildings...sounds like yet another great neighbor hood to explore!