Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time Travellers - Best spot to stay in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to get some opinion in regards to which district area to stay in rome? Which should I avoid? And basically which area is not safe.

Could list stations if you like like, would Colosseo are be good for instance?

but please let me know anything suggestions.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
What do you plan to visit?
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 10:47 PM

I like the area around Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Campo di Fiori
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 11:46 PM

Hi,
We don't like spending too much money on accommodation so on our first trips to Rome we always stayed in cheap pensions in the Termini area. On our last trip to Rome we felt that we wanted to stay somewhere else since the Termini area is far away from Piazza Navona, Trastevere and other parts of the city where we usually spend the evenings/nights. On our last trip to Rome we rented an apartment near Pantheon. The apartment was LOVELY with a huge terrace overlooking a small Piazza. We found the area so convenient and the apartment was cheaper than most hotels in the same area. So I agree with jamikins, my vote goes to Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo di Fiori. To rent an apartment could be good value in Rome. We used romecityapartments.com and the name of the apartment was Paradiso something. They had 3 or 4 apartments for rent in the same building. I can see that this agency gets mixed reviews on the internet but everything worked fine for us. The apartment met all our expectations.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:13 AM

We especially like the area around the Piazza de Popolo and the bottom of the Spanish Steps. Lots of good shops , restaurants, walking distance to the Vatican and Trastevere and the Via Veneto area
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 01:31 AM

I would say around the Piazza del Popolo and the Piazza Navonna - the Campo dei Fiori area has become rather scruffy apart from the Piazza Farnese. The Vatican area is inconveniently across the river and somehow Trastevere has never appealed.

Last month we stayed at Town House Suite: Navonna Governo Vecchio for 118 euro a night B&B and it was very central and pleasant.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 01:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi guri,

I definitely agree with the above - staying centrally maximises your time in Rome [and probably anywhere else] and probably isn't any more expensive than staying further out and having to use public transport all the time.

nowhere in the centre is inherently unsafe but you should exercise the normal precautions you would at home - don't walk around with your wallet [bill-fold if you are of US extraction] visibly on show, don't leave your purse/handbag/camera lying around, etc.etc. - the same as in any big city.

just relax and enjoy!
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:01 AM

I just wrote about our hotel in my trip report (should be near the top of the forum). We stayed at the Artemide Hotel located somewhat near Termini. Although everyone said it would be too far away from everything, I found it to be a good location. Close to Termini for day trips out of the city, bus stop right across the street, and within 15-20 of most major sites (Vatican was a bit longer walk).

I don't know, for me, some of the best times I had in Rome were just wandering the streets and getting lost.

The hotel is a bit pricey, but it is VERY comfortable!
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:42 AM

Hotels and apartments near Termini and Trastevere (as well as Vatican City) will tend to be cheaper and more bang-for-your-buck than anything in the Campo di Fiori/Pantheon area. Plus that area is overrun with tourists and overpriced food.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:54 AM
ira

Hey G,

>I was hoping to get some opinion in regards to which district area to stay in rome?<

Knowing nothing about the size of your group, your likes, dislikes, interests and budget makes it difficult to advise you.

How about a little info?

Have you looked up Rome under "Destinations"? Have you searched for "Rome Hotels"?

Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:05 AM

I too like the area around Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori although anywhere west of Via del Corso to the river is OK.

The Colosseo area would be near the bottom of my list of neighborhoods to stay in: not particularly charming and not terribly convenient (except for seeing the Colloseum, of course).

As for "stations", it is important to know that Rome (unlike Paris, London, and most other European cities) is a unique city in that the subway system doesn't go near the historical center but instead stays well outside of it. So being near ANY Metro station means you will be somewhat on the outskirts.

Better to stay midway between the Collosem and the Vatican and (i.e. Pantehon area, Piazza Navona area, Campo dei Fiori area, etc.) and just walk most places.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:31 AM

Few things needed for real info...

1) number in party
2) length of stay
3) time of year

With that said, if it were 2 of you, staying a week, then in all probability you can get a very central, small apartment for far less than a hotel would cost.

Check out sleepinitaly.com for some ideas. I have used them many, many times and have always been pleased with the results, both monetarily and location wise.

dave
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:42 AM

We stayed in the Ghetto last trip and that was fine-convenient for walking and pleasant. Our friends stayed in Trastevere that trip, a location we also liked. Both were apartments, something we find we really enjoy. We have chosen the Trastevere area for our stay this trip. We went through Sleep in Italy and will be staying at

https://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show...?id_appartam=3

This is a little further out than many would like but appealed to us (it is right on the edge of the tourist map handed out at Rome TI's). I guess in 49 days we will let everyone know!!
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Gotten enough input? I think we have pretty much covered most of the areas in the central city! give us some feedback / info if you want to try to narrow down your choices. I always recommend www.venere.com as a good resource for Rome - you can pick an area and pricepoint, then look at Tripadvisor reviews (tho venere has reviews too). I've stayed in several areas and pretty much enjoyed them all!
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your help i am looking into it.
Yes its for two adults. Couple.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:28 AM

My favourite neighbourhood in Rome is Monti, which is the area around Maria Maggiore Church. This feels like a real neighbourhood to me.

It is close to Termini and if you walk down the Via Merulana and cut through the Parco Triano, you come out by the Collosseum. You can get the Metro at Termini or Cavour to get to the Vatican.

A good restaurant in this neighbourhood is Trattoria Monti.

I also like the area around the Piazza Popolo as it is close to the Borghese Gardens and the Pincio (great views of Rome here).

I detest the Campo Fiori area; it think it is very very crowded and has lots of annoying beggars.

If you have tons of money, then stay at the Hotel de Russie. Its back garden faces the Pincio.

P_P
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we ended up staying in Monti [via dei serpenti] on our first trip to Rome, because of a last minute swap of apartments by the rental agency. Whilst we ended up loving the area, it was not ideal for a first visit to Rome as it was a bit far from most of the places we wanted to see - apart from the colosseum and the forum, and the Capitoline museums, but they only really take a 1/2 day or so each.

so we probably walked further than we wanted to [or was comfortable for our feet].

Nevertheless it is a good area to stay, if you don't mind using buses and/or walking a lot. nice neighbourhood shops, restaurants, bars, and atmosphere.