Reload this Page >

Apartment in Rome- pls choose from final 2

Old Apr 5th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellow Fodorites,

Please help me choose an apartment from the following two final choices...I'm just not able to to do myself n really need your help!

The choices are:
1) Piazza Navona- http://www.vrbo.com/249728
2) Trastevere- http://www.homelidays.co.uk/roma/apa...-156589en1.htm

About us- Couple in late twenties , active. Have just 4 days in rome in end of May.
Looking for place that is walkable to most attractions...with a few friendly (not expensive) cafes, resturants and which is peaceful at night.

Looking forward to your replies!
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

forgot to add that Piazza Navona apartment is 249728 platinum
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 10:14 PM

The Piazza Navona is more walkable than Trastevere obviously as most sights are on that side of the Tiber (apart from the Vatican of course.)

Many people seem to like Trastevere, but I prefer the Campo dei Fiori/Navona area, it feels less studenty to me. There is a plethora of restaurants, cafes and bars in both your possible locations.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tarquin...which apartment would you prefer?

Guys please let me know which apartment looks better from pictures.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:41 AM

What a responsibility!

I like to walk everywhere when in Rome, so I would go for the first one, on Via del Governo Vecchio. In fact, I will be staying in a B&B on that street in June. The reviews sound ok too.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:55 AM

My concern with the VRBO Piazza Navona apartment would be that it appears to be a basement suite -- I don't see any windows. That would really bother me -- I like get some light and be able to look out and see what the weather is like! That might not be a concern for others, however. I think I'd have security concerns at ground or basement levels. I also worry when the owners don't post a photo of the bathroom; those are expensive to renovate and can get pretty dingy. Again, that might not be a concern for you.

With the Trastevere apartment, you can really see what you are getting, how the building looks, etc. It is a bit further out from the historic centre, however.

I suppose you have to really think about what matters most to you in a rental!
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:58 AM

The VRBO one in the Navona neighborhood would by my easy choice. Not a close call, the VRBO is a much better location. Also, there is a wide variety of cafes and restaurants on Via del Governo Vecchio in all price ranges. I don't believe there are many (any?) cars on Via del Governo Vecchio either.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 09:15 AM

Definitely the Trastevere. The apartment looks brighter and bigger, I just don't see any windows in the PN apartment.
I really like this neighborhood, lots of great inexpensive restaurants here, it is not very far to walk to all the attractions, especially if you are in your 20's, I think that trastevere has a younger feel too.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
cw

I share the concern about the VRBO apartment not having any windows. The "gold" apartment is on the ground floor, but it doesn't say where the platinum is--nor are there photos of the bathroom or kitchen.

Trastevere is further out but a lot of people stay there and enjoy the neighborhood and the choices of less expensive restaurants. I haven't stayed there so I don't speak from experience.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the replies guys.
O Boy..did my confusion just get bigger
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

I'll write and ask the PN owner about our doubts..Many thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 09:39 PM

Have you checked trip adviser? They do have reviews of rentals. Where we are staying in Venice was list and received great reviews, eased our minds.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM

To me, the apartment in Trastevere looks much nicer and it's close to the river, so you wouldn't have a long walk to get to Piazza Navona and elsewhere. However, if you really want to be where the action is, the other apartment is better situated for that. You'll have to decide if you're ok with the tradeoff. It's definitely nice to be able to stop by one's hotel or apartment during the day for a quick break, so a convenient location is important. That said, I don't think the one in Trastervere is that out of the way and it also offers you a different "feel" of Rome.