Beilstein

Apr 18th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Beilstein

My husband and I and two of our friends are going to stay at the Hotel Haus Lipmann for 7 nights, my husband and his friend are off to watch some of the world cup matches and myself and the other girl will be left to our own devices for a day in Beilstein, I wondered if anyone knew of any Spa's or Health Retreats near by that we would go to for the day and get pampered whilst our other half's at at the football. Also any comments on Haus Lipmann would be welcomed as it is our first vist
Apr 18th, 2006, 08:51 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Haus Lipmann summer upon the raves of so many on this site and though the Hotel was perfectly charming I found myself a bit disappointed. The Hotel itself while right on the river, is also separated from the river by a major road, which is very busy, especially during the day.

Bielstein was also very crowded during the day with day trippers.

If I had a week, I would probably split my time between Bielstein and maybe a castle.

The restaurant was good, unfortunately, the weather was not great so we could not eat outside.

I know that there are many on this site that love this hotel, but this was my experience based on the things that are important to me when I travel.

If you want to know anything specific, let me know and I can respond.

Apr 18th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Have you looked into Cochem? I believe they have some hotels that have spas...
Apr 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Many of the towns on the Mosel have both a railroad line and a road between them and the river. So Beilstein is a leg up on that score.
Apr 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Oh, can't comment on the daytrippers in Beilstein as we were out and about during the day exploring along the river.
Apr 18th, 2006, 11:17 AM

There's a large health spa on top of the mountain at Kues (Bernkastel-Kues) - not far from Beilstein by bus) - there are health spas all over Germany in part because of the German vacation system allows many workers i believe to take a week or two at a health spa at taxpayer expense - at least that's muy understanding.
Apr 18th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Since you will be there on a Friday or Saturday night be sure to visit The Zehnthauskeller in Beilstein. Below is excerpted from my 2003 trip report. Have fun.

"It was Friday night, so an early bed night was out. In back of the Haus Lipmann is the Zehnthauskeller (owned by Herr Lipmann's brother-in-law). We got there about nine o'clock and the place was hopping full of Germans hopped up on beer, singing folk songs and other tunes being led by a guy on an organ and a synthesizer.

The only table was in the front. I walked around and heard no English speaking people anywhere. We ordered some wine and two German couples sat at the other seats at our table.

The next song was about two seconds long when one German lady locked arms with Tracy and one German guy locked arms with me and the songfest had begun in earnest.

They ordered some wacky shot of some liquer which they let me taste. Then I decided to order. Since I had already consumed some wine at dinner, I was feeling no pain. In my pathetic German I tried to order two shots. Instead the waitress thought I said five.

Well, when the five shot glasses arrived at the table, I quickly made a decision to give four of them to my new German friends. From then on it was one long drinkfest.

The highlight was singing "Take Me Home Country Roads" in English with 200 Germans all locking arms and swaying with the music. John Denver would have been proud.

When I got the bill, I could not believe it. I had ordered 11 shots and/or wine drinks for ourselves and our German friends. The bill was only 21 Euro and change. I asked the waitress if that was correct and she said, "Ya" or something to that effect. I tried to tip her 5 Euro for the great time and she said, "No, I can't accept it it. It is too much."

"How about two?," I asked. She said that was too much but took it and thanked us profusely."

A great night.
Apr 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Oh yeah, we loved the Haus Lipmann. Dinner on the patio overlooking the river was wonderful. Herr Lipmann was a really nice guy. The shower was great. The beds were comfortable. And the price was right.

We loved Beilstein as a base to see the Mosel area, and I have nothing but high praise for Haus Lipmann.