Autoeurope car rental rates not available

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been trying to book a car in France for the spring - last week of May and first two weeks of June. Whatever car we try to book or where in France the website comes back that no cars are available. On my first phonecall to Autoeurope they replied the rates weren't out yet but would be available December 1. Now they are saying the rates won't be out until January 1.
Is this firm reliable? worth waiting for?
As an alternative has anyone had any experience with Cheap-car-rental.com?
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 09:54 AM

yes, it is reliable. I have used them and liked them so would wait, but I wouldn't be trying to book a rental car this far ahead, anyway. Any reputable rental agency should be suitable if they have the price you like, however. I liked Autoeurope because of their rates and they were easy to deal with in the US.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:01 AM

I'm having a problem getting a clear answer from autoeurope also.
I'm expecting to take train from Paris to Marseille and wish to rent a car in Marseille, drop off in Perpignan or Barcelona, if possible. But their website gives me a blank. Has anyone done this kind of rental before?
Is it better to work it out on the internet before I get to France? Or should I wait and deal with it in Marseille? I'm leaving in less than a week and will need the car on Dec. 21 or 22.

Thanks,

Al O.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:01 AM

Try the europecar web site, as they are one of the main suppliers of rentals to AutoEurope. That will give you an idea of what the rates might be--AE is usually less.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:02 AM
KT

Because AutoEurope is not a rental company with its own fleet, it won't have rates available until the rates under its contracts with the actual rental companies are finalized. Similarly to the case with airline consolidators, these often are not available if you're looking very far in advance. This doesn't mean the company isn't reliable -- in fact, pretty much everything I've ever read about them says that they are reliable.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:21 AM

I've been using AutoEurope for at least 10 years and have always found them exceptionally reliable and the best-priced option. You've been given good information on why they can't give you rates now. I'd concentrate on other aspects of your trip and call them a month or so before you leave. They will always have a car for you. Perhaps the value of the dollar will have improved by spring, and maybe you'll save yourself some money because of it. There is no need to book this far in advance.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:22 AM

Hi ! Autoeurope is a most reliable company , and to my knowledge they have some of the best deals on car rental.
Do not wait, at least reserve a car, a small one, based on todays rates, this way you have a reservation - as well as an idea of the cost. They do not request a cc in order to reserve and they have no xlation charges so.. you are better off if you reserve and then call back on jan and confirm rate.
-AND -NO- no experience with Cheap car rental.
Enjoy the planning as it is part of the whole idea of the trip ! Olga--
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:28 AM

The above advice is all good and I'll add my recommendation for AutoEurope. One point I can't make clear enough is that while their website is OK for basic planning, you should NEVER go ahead and book on the website. I have always called them and gotten even better rates by phone. Among other things they do by phone will be to suggest pick-up and drop-off locations that may save you money. When you click a particular location within a city for pick-up, that automatically sets what agency that quote will come from, not necessarily the agency with the best price. You need a real human being to help you do that!

And yes, I've always found that I couldn't rely on the rates from them for summer rentals until February or so. Even then, calling back a month before you go may get you an even better rate.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:29 AM

Also try Nova rentacar. We've used them twice and have been very satisfied.

http://www.novarentacar.com

They are a broker like Autoeurope.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:33 AM

I agree about calling them. Besides all the reasons Patrick gave you, it takes about a tenth the time it does to check all your options on the website.
1-800-223-5555
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM

We always use Autoeurope. They can give you current rates so you'll have some idea of cost for planning purposes. Like others, we always call them to book.