Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone know of any consolidators similar to AutoEurope for rental within the US?

Anyone know of any consolidators similar to AutoEurope for rental within the US?

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We always use the consolidator approach when renting a car in Europe. Are there any similar types of agencies for rental in the US? Our March trip this year is to South Carolina since we looked at the dollar against the Euro and decided to stay here this time around.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 06:41 PM

julies
I am not sure what you mean by the consolidator approach in renting a car. Could you explain? Maybe I am a novice and just don't understand something that all the rest of you do? Anyway, I live in South Carolina so if I can be of any help in answering other questions please don't hesitate to ask and I will do my best to help. Hope you love our Southern Hospitality. You have chosen a great month to visit as the weather should be great in March. Jackie
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:01 AM

I know what julies means having used Autoeurope and it would be a great idea in the US. It is one company that you call up to rent a car in a city and they have deals or contracts with various rental companies and check to get you the lowest rate possible. YOu pay the consolidator but another car rental company is actually renting you the car (eg, Hertz, Avis, Europcar, etc.).

I don't know of anything exactly like that in the US with simple one-stop shopping, but you can do something similar by booking through Priceline or Hotwire, or just checking for best deals on Orbitz. Orbitz gives you a listing of all major car rental rates for your request in a certain city. Then, you'd have to actually book with the company yourself, although I guess you can do it on the Orbitz website. Maybe Expedia or Travelocity have similar functions. I think for Priceline or Hotwire, a car rental is less risky than hotel rooms as it doesn't make that much difference within size, as long as you can get the rental location pretty specified.

YOu'd think there was such a thing in the US, maybe someone else knows.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Christina, I am aware of the typical travel sites, but as you said, none of them are exactly the same concept. That's whay I put the question out.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 03:27 PM

As far as I know, the system is different here in the States.

Nowadays, the best way is to go into a site, such as Travelocity, input your pickup and dropoff cities, the dates when you will need a car, and the type of car you wish. Travelocity will then give you the rates for almost all of the major car rental companies for your pickup city and their rates.

This works about the same as a "consolidator", except that you are doing your own pricing.

I usually go for the lowest rate available. The car rental companies are pretty much the same - to me. You may have some personal preferences, in which case, you can ask for rates for specific car rental companies.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 06:24 PM

The one thing different about that travelocity thing is that they will show you the rates the individual companies charge and then you go to those companies. At AutoEurope, they've negotiated a special rate. If they say you're getting your car from Avis, your price from AutoEurope will usually be a whole lot less than if you call Avis direct. Tell me about it. I just priced a car from London to Cardiff. AutoEurope's quote is practically half of what Avis's rate was, even though AutoEurope was quoting me an Avis car. When I say nearly half -- I mean Avis's quote was in pounds and almost the same as AutoEurope's quote in dollars.