Au Pair in Barcelona- need advice on short trips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have applied to work as an au pair in Barcelona this summer, most likely from either May or June through August.

I will be given at least one week off (which, if they give me weekends anyway, will actually be 9-10 days) and if this all works out, I was thinking I'd like to try to go to Nice & Marseille that week- how doable is this from Barcelona? How expensive?

Also, are there other nearby places I should see, possibly instead? I have traveled in Bosnia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and Germany (as well as Mexico and Costa Rica!) but not to this area of Europe, so any advice is welcome. Thanks! =)
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM

ttt
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 06:58 AM

I guess people are not answering because they think you should get a travel book and "do your homework". It sounds like a great oportunity! You can tain to Nice, maybe even fly. It is a longer distance than you might think and the trains are not the fast ones. But certainly doable. There would be plenty of other options - Andulacia would be pretty hot tho. There is an overnight train from Barcelona to Paris (you do not mention having been there). In some ways it would be more a change of scenery than Nice. If you can get PREM fares on any trains you take - it will save you alot of money.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM

I haven't been to Barcelona so can't recommend on trip very close, although obviously you could go to Madrid.

There are plenty of places in France closer than Nice, so I see no reason to go all the way to Nice unless you are dying to see it for some particular reason. There are better beaches west of Marseille than east, anyway. I'd suggest you look into Perpignan, Narbonne and Montpellier. YOu could even go up to Toulouse and Albi (through Carcasonne).
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Oh...I certainly plan to do all my homework, read guidebooks, talk to my host family, make friends with both local people and others traveling abroad, etc. before making final plans. Was just looking for additional suggestions from people who knew. =)

Thanks for those of you who have responded, I'll certainly look into all options!
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Alsheeha,

why not explore the coastline near Barcelona? or go up to Perpignan - a vey chic french town? from there you could look round the pyrenees - french or spanish, possibly both. you might even get as far as San Sebastian!

why go to the other side of France when there is so much of Spain to see right under your nose and you'll probably never get another opportunity to explore it? and it'll be cheaper to stay closer to "home".

the lonely planet guides are good for working out trips like this as they have all the public transport details you need.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Uh - I would check on that weekends off business. Au pairs here don;t get that.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Nytraveler- Au Pairs work 30-35 hrs/week and generally have two days off which may or may not be weekends. At least through the program I am going through.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 12:37 AM

Are you looking at Nice and Marseilles because they are cities with beaches and is this your focus? If you're looking for any suggestion to consider I recommend Vienna with some trips to Salzberg and other places in the area. Vienna is a small city and very different from Barcelona. My memory of the last time there was that it was such a joyous place to visit. Everyone seemed happy and welcoming and the cafes with pastries are to die for!

You might be able to get an inexpensive intra-european flight for the same price as a train ticket to Marseilles and Nice. Or maybe even less expensive than the train ticket.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your week's holiday and your time as an au pair!