FRA Hotel, Early check in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Gemany for the 1st time, and it's my 3rd time out of the North American Continent. (I'm a late bloomer at 50+!) We fly into Frankfurt, arriving about 10 am. I'd like to find a hotel close to the airport, hopefully for about $100, and perhaps with the possibility of checking in as soon as we get through customs and find our way there. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Why do you want to stay near the airport? Are you staying over one day and flying out the next day?
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 04:49 PM

The Frankfurt airport is not a place you want to stay unless you have a flight out at 6am. Where on you going on this trip - and why not head there instead of hanging around an airport?
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Hello JJJKMomma

Several years ago, my elderly parents (early 80s) accompanied us on their first trip overseas. One of their big concerns was how they would feel after the flight. So to alleviate their concerns about heading out too fast, we ended up booking a hotel at the airport for the first night, so they could completely rest before beginning the rest of the vacation the next day.

We stayed at the Sheraton Frankfurt, which is located directly at the airport (although I doubt it would be in the $100 range). They were able to sleep for several hours, get a massage, and just relax. My DH and I took the train to Cologne for the afternoon. When we returned, Mom & Dad were well rested and ready for dinner.

Here is a link with hotels near the airport:

http://frankfurt.airporthotelguide.c...orthotels.html

As I don't know when you're going, I couldn't check prices. Weekends are generally cheaper than weekdays.

Happy travels!
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 05:35 PM

And I forgot to say, welcome to Fodor's!
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

I want to stay overnight because we are taking the train to Munich the next day and I want to enjoy the train ride! My trip to Rome (2nd time out of North America) started with a much needed nap on arrival, dinner, more sleep overnight, and ready and eager for exploring the next day. I don't want to be grumpy and tired on the train ride to Munich, so I want to do it the next day. We'd also stay at the same hotel the night before we go home, 2 weeks later. If it's easy to get into town, we could stay in town. I'm a newbie at all this!
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 08:18 PM

It is very easy to get into town. If you take the subway it takes all of 11 minutes to get to the main train station in Frankfurt city center. There you will find many hotels to choose from, that match your budget and style. The train to Munich leaves from there too. If you prefer to take a taxi, and frankly many people do after a transatlantic flight, it will cost about 30-35 €.

You should be able to get a lovely room for about 65 -70 € including breakfast.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO there is absolutely no reason to stay at the airport. Go into town and stay in a nice central hotel. To recover from jet lag, it is usually best to get fresh air, take a nice walk or some very light sightseeing, even just sitting in a park, a nice dinner and semi-early to bed. Not to hunker down inside a sterile airport hotel.

The city center is a very quick ride in from the airport.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 12:08 AM

Agree with the others - stay in the city, and catch a train to Munich from Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof/central station instead of from the city.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 01:07 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The Holiday Inn Express offers early check-in. I've stayed there a few times and it worked very well for an overnight or when I needed a day room. They're located about 10 minutes from the airport and provide a shuttle (not sure if it's free though).

I just checked their rates and found a price of $107 on Hotel Club.