ATM Cards/Clothes

Old May 11th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM Cards/Clothes

My girlfriend and I are leaving in less than 2 weeks for our first trip to Italy.

Will my ATM card work as it does here?

For the various sights in Italy, I was planning on wearing very casual clothes during the day (shorts/jeans/t-shirts/polos) and maybe bring a few button downs and a pair of dress pants for museums and dinner.

Does that sound about right? Will I be fine with that arsenal in my suitcase? Something else you recommend?

Thanks
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:22 AM
ira

Hi NT,

>Will my ATM card work as it does here?

Most likely. It should have the logo of one of the major issuers. 4 digit all number PINs are preferred.

When visiting churches, cover shoulders and knees.

Have a nice visit.

Old May 11th, 2005, 05:27 AM

Oh please no button down collars, they're the most unflattering style, and really should be binned. If you wear a shirt, never ever have a buttoned down collar, it's too casual and looks awful, an huge crime against fashion and humanity.

You could make those garments work for the evening too. A super fine cotton t-shirt with dressy jeans and perhaps a fitted jacket with nipped in waist and single fastening will suffice for the evening. If you're going to be clever with packing you'll take only casual-wear and a couple of smart jackets, and then you can dress things up and down - I occasionally do this if I'm going away for just a couple of nights and can't be bothered having everything packed for me.

Museums are the most casual places in the world, full of scrufffy students and backpacker types, no need whatsoever to dress up for them.

I never really get what "dress pants" are, try some trousers influenced by this season's trends, or indeed trousers from this season! Browse the stores, and pick up some items from this season if you'd like. Just remember that stone coloured trousers don't really work all that well in the evening, black/grey i.e. a monochrome affair is the way to go.

As for shorts, if you don't have attractive legs then please leave them covered up. If you feel that your legs should be inflicted on the unsuspecting public, then oversized shorts in big checks are very much in vogue this season.
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:04 AM

I noticed several men in Italy denied access to churches in shorts. I would keep that in mind.

Also, fashion advice received on this board should be taken with a LARGE grain of salt.
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Your pack ideas sound just right to me. I would aim for ~ 4 pair of pants and 7-10 shirts total. 1 pair of shorts is fine (knee length) but it might not be all that hot this early in the year. A jacket or cardigan sweater. Be sure to have 2 pair of comfortable shoes. This same would work for your girlfriend (unless she wants to add a skirt or dress maybe one more pair of shoes or sandals).

Whatever you decide, it should be able to fit in a >24" suitcase, that is plenty of clothes for any trip IMO.

An ATM tied to a checking account with a 4-digit pin should work same as it does at home.
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Just to reinforce:

the ATM card MUST be linked to a checking account - if it's linked to a savings account it won;t work in europe

As far as dress is concerned - you are free to wear what you please when touring. But respectful/appropriate dress (no bare knees, upper arms, bosom or midriff ) is required for admittance to St. Peters/Vatican. If dressed inappropriately you will be turned away from St Peters by the guards and may receive glares/comments from local worshippers in other churches.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Jeans are nothing but bad news in Italy in the summer - very uncomfortable in the heat and humidity. Leave them at home.

Shorts and t-shirts are fine by me. Personally, I don't care what others think about how I look as long as I'm comfortable. But if you plan on visiting a church on a particular day, wear pants since shorts are not allowed sometimes. Get something light-weight and breezy like cotton/linen.

I bring 2 pairs of pants and 4 shirts. You may even want to bring less than that so that you'll have room in your suitcase to buy clothes in Italy.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Maybe I'm just having a cranky day, but ---

Is anyone else but me baffled about the 'no-bare-shoulders, no-bare-knees' restriction on visiting some churches, or about why covered legs and arms are somehow more 'respectful' than otherwise?

Did the God worshipped in these places only create people from the collarbones up and the wrists down...or something?

I guess I'm just one of those folks to whom the logic of "Sunday Best" (if that's what is applied here) has never been made clear to me.

I mean, wouldn't an Omnipotent-Creator-of-Everything-Which-Ever-Has-Been-Or-Will-Ever-Be be capable of overlooking a little thing like a bare kneecap, regardless of the stylishness (or lack thereof) of the leg to which it is attached?

As I said, perhaps just a cranky day. But I truly am perplexed.

Fritzl
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Your dressing choices are fine.

ATM advice nytraveler is right, you will NOT be able to access your savings account in Europe even if you can in the states, so move some money if you need to. Also, if your pin number starts with zero change it. I got conflicting reports on this before we left (April 2005) on this site and even at the bank. This was of great concern to me since my pin DID start with zero, so I changed it before we left. I figured better to be safe than sorry.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Jeans are fine, the temps may only be in the 70's during the daytime which means much cooler in the evening. Your plan sounds good.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:02 PM

fritzrl
the churches (or synagogues or mosques, for that matter) are private institutions. Theological issues aside (to be debated elsewhere perhaps), them's that in charge of the buildings can make the rules. I may or may not agree with their ideas about respect and modesty, but I comply if I wish to go in. And I do try not to deliberately offend people on their own turf. When the strict priests or rabbis come to my house, they can wear what they like.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Fritzl- While I may agree with you in theory, it's one of those things IMO that is silly to debate.

That's just how it is (cover yourself up if you plan to visit churches, the more famous cathedrals are stricter than an unknown neighborhood church).

It is respectful and it is tradition, whether it makes sense to you or not.