Dressing for Italy trip

Search

Dressing for Italy trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dressing for Italy trip

My husband and I are going to Italy end of this April. We are first time travellers and are planning on taking backpacks. We are mainly visiting the cities - Venice, Florence, Rome, Cinque Terre. (Got some great tips reading threads on this site thanks to you all).

Since we are taking backpacks we are planning on dressing very casually - t-shirts, jeans, etc. Will this hinder our ability to taste good cuisine because we may not be able to go to fancy restaurants? Any other tips on dressing during the trip?

Thanks for any comments/advice in advance!
--Vids
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:33 PM

I'm topping your post so you'll get some answers.

We travel light and casual but always take one outfit each that we can use for dress. Pack a pair of very lightweight dress black slacks and top and add a silk scarf. This will roll up to nothing in your backpack and will get you into any restaurant you like. Your husband will need something resembling a suit, but he could use a microfiber suit coat with matching slacks and a silk turtleneck. My husband always takes one dress suit and wears it on the plane. That way he doesn't have to pack it.

Jeans are fine and are worn all over Europe so don't worry about that. You could also take khaki slacks (both of you) and they would be acceptable. You might consider lightweight shirts instead of tee shirts. At lunch time you can go almost anyplace with a nice shirt and slacks. Since it's April, consider turtlenecks also. They always look dressier than tee shirts.

In Italy you will need to have legs and shoulders covered to enter most churches so leave the shorts at home. They just take up packing space.

Just a few suggestions. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:05 AM
JonJon

I would NOT "leave the shorts at home" since you are NOT going to be hiking up the nave of churches all day. Lots of people in Italy wear shorts (if it is hot enough to do so and in April, depending on where you end up it may not be hot enough) but take clothes that are comfortable. I agree with taking something that looks more dressed up than jeans and a t-shirt and one pair of shorts would be helpful, too.

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:07 AM

I've never taken either a suit or tie to Europe, but we don't dine in fine restaurants. I found my level of dress to be about the same as Europeans on vacation everywhere we've been (actually, somewhat better than Germans and Austrians). If we did plan to engage in some activity where suit and tie were appropriate, I would, of course, take the appropriate clothing.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, for some really useful tips. I can easily pack a pair of dress slacks and top but packing for my husband is going to be tougher. He will have to carry his dress shoes to get all fancied up! ;-)

So I think I will probably have him pack his khakis, a nice shirt and he can wear his hiking boots - that should probably work. I also read up some other threads on this topic and I think the general opinion is to pack clothes that will be more comfortable than fancy.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:33 AM

No need for him to pack "dress" shoes--just some non-sneaker shoes.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM

The truth is there are millions of visitors to Italy who don't care how they look and carry backpacks with them everywhere. Italians are quite used to serving all kinds of people and, frankly, most Italians love the fact that you bothered to visit in the first place.

If dressing up is not your thing then fine. Just don't expect the welcome that a finely dressed tourist might receive and don't make a fool of yourself trying to edge your way into a fine-dining establishment, although I'm sure you could find more than one Italian host who would seat you. The Italians are so forgiving. Maybe it's a Catholic thing.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:58 PM

My husband gets around the dress shoes thing by wearing black leather tennis shoes. From 5 feet away, you can't tell much difference.

Jonjon, my objection wasn't to shorts per se. I was considering what you can leave home when you are carrying a backpack and have very limited luggage space. You can live without shorts (and some of us do), but you have to have slacks; ergo, you leave the shorts at home.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:22 PM

April can be cool in Italy unless you're going down south...We're leaving next week for Venice and taking london fog trench coats /and leather coats....with a turtle neck (or dickie) or a nice silk scarf (no sneakers) you can get by anywhere.....Hope you have a great time...
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:28 PM
TeeGirl

I agree with Ellenem, no need for dress shoes. But I would say dress nice for your evenings. Europeans take their dining experience seriously. If you do not mind sticking out at dinner, wear jeans. If not, dress in a dressy casual. No need for a tie, but if you are dressed nicely you will feel more comfortable fitting in!!!

T

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:57 PM

vids, re: dress shoes for your husband:

my husband wears Salomon black "sport-clog" type shoes -- the kind you just slip your feet in, not open in the back like a traditional clog, they fit snugly around the heel. He has worn them on our travels (and here at home) for everything from going out to dinner to hiking.

Since you are a backpacker, you probably know what these are, they are sold at most outdoor stores. Merrill and a lot of other companies make them as well. I don't find them that comfortable myself, but I walked all over Italy in a pair of Merrill more traditional clog-style shoes (open back)with no complaints.

As far as dressing up, those soft, lightweight cashmere sweaters (they are on sale in most US dept stores now as they clear them out for spring) in bright colors are great for travel -- they pack light, can be layered over a t-shirt or under a jacket and can "dress up" a basic outfit nicely.

Take your jeans, they are as popular there as here, but I agree with other posters, you want something nicer for certain restaurants. That said, on my last trip to Italy, on a Saturday night in Milan most of the (young and not so young) Italian women were out in jeans, great shoes and sexy tops.

Whatever you do, don't take too much! Remember, you have to lug those backpacks around. Pack everything in advance and then take out about a third of it. If you forget something, buy it in Italy!