Search

My Packing List!

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Packing List!

Hi Everybody!
I am starting to shop for my trip this July. I am going to be gone a month in Italy. Do you think this is enough clothes?? Or maybe this is too many?? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Underwear (10 Pairs)
Shirts (6 Shirts)
T-shirts (6 T-Shirts)
Shorts (1 Pair)
Capri’s (2 Pair)
Socks (5 Pair)
Pants (1 Kacki, 1 Black)
Jeans (2 Pairs)
Hat (1)
Bra (1 White, 1 Red, 1 Black, 1 Sports Bra)
Skirt (2 Skirts)
1 Sweater
1 Pair of Stockings
Beach pants
Pajamas
Belt
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:15 PM

I am certainly no packing expert but if it is July and it is Italy I would deep six the jeans, the sweater, and the stockings. I'm also not sure you need 6 shirts when you are bringing 6 T-shirts. Seems like a lot to me and I'm a overpackaholic.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:19 PM

You can certainly delete some of the socks and undies. I handwash mine in the sink and hang to dry in the bathroom. I have a terrific laundry line that I purchased from Magellan's.

If you will be changing hotels often, you can keep some. If not, I'd be down to three socks (one for the feet, one clean and one on the laundry line) and maybe 4 undies.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:21 PM

Well, since you asked, here's what I think you need:

Underwear 6 pairs
Shirts 6 total (mix nice t's w/ shirts)
Shorts 0
Capris 2 (one dressy)
Socks 6 pairs
Pants 2 pairs (1 black, 1 kahki - both light weight)
Jeans 0
Hat 0 (unless you burn)
Bra 2
Skirt 1
Sweater 1
Stockings 0
Beach pants ?
PJs ?
Belt 0

Ha! And I don't have any idea what you're doing in Italy.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:32 PM

Jeans are a pain for travel; they are bulky and if dirty, they take forever to dry. Drop onepair of jeans and add a skirt and a pair of shorts. Skirts are very popular in Europe right now and very, very versatile.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM

I'm not quite as stringent as some of these other folks (no way could I travel a month with 2 bras, but I like a few different styles for various purposes -- about two daytime very comfortable ones for touring, one racer back for tops that need that, and maybe two for evenings that are a little skimpier and underwire (one nude, one black) that look better with some nicer clothes than my casual daytime ones. So that's four right there.

Anyway, if by underwear you mean panties, you don't need 10 pair for a month. I'd take 7 at most, but more like 5-6 really. The rest of your schedule I think is pretty good, but it's hard to know your style or what you plan to do. I think you have too many shirt and Tshirts, and could do with perhaps 4 each. On the other hand, I would pack more than one sweater for outer stuff. I'd pack at least two, one a lot lighter weight than the other. I have a couple very lightweight silk/rayon/spandex ones that are good when it's pretty warm, but you need something at night if you are sleeveless. I don't wear pajamas, so would cut those out, myself. You can get by sleeping in a Tshirt or something, which can be used for other things, if necessary, although I sleep in bigger Tshirts than I might wear outside. Actually, in a hot place in summer, like Italy, I usually just sleep in a rayon/silk sleeveless "undershirt" or tank-type top. This takes up almost no room, I pack a couple of those, and they can double as another layer under a lightweight sweater sometimes for going out at night, or as a top with a skirt.

I don't know what beach pants are exactly, but it doesn't look like you are going to the beach as you don't have a swimsuit. If these are just for kicking back around the hotel, I guess so. I take a pair of lightweight knit shorts or capris for that purpose.

I don't think you have two many socks, though.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:50 PM

kim, you will be getting lots of different viewpoints about packing. I was going to say you had too many bras but then read Christina's comments and agree with her.

What kind of traveling will you be doing? Are you moving around alot or staying a week in most places.

What are your plans for dining and sightseeing, is it beaches, mountains or major cities? That will help with packing suggestions.

I'm continually seeking the best packing list, if such a thing actually exists Deborah
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:17 PM

My major problem would be my feet, so in posts like yours, I always check how many shoes. Is it only 1 pair of shoes you'll be wearing??

Never ever wear the same shoes for over 3 days in a row. Bring at least one spare pair well broken into. For a month I'd wear 1 pair, and bring along 2.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Shoes? Whadda bout shoes & sandals

I would subtract 2 each from undies, socks, shirts, and t-shirts categories. I would not take any jeans (too hot) or stockings (yuck). I would add a bathing suit and a sarong/pareo (very handy for all kinds of uses).

I think it is helpful to think of packing for 1 week, rather than 1 month... knowing you will wash out some items, wear items more often than you would at home, and hit a laundry matt a couple times.

Do your shopping right away and wear everything at home and wash them a few times before you take them. I never take anything brand new on a trip (learned that one the hard way).

Keep the shorts. It's gonna be hot!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd bring a silk bathrobe instead of pajamas (PJs too hot & robe packs smaller) and use a tank or tshirt to sleep, in as Christina mentions above.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:44 PM

bookmarking, thanks
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:50 PM

I wondered about stockings, too. Maybe it's what we call knee-hi? Or as it is popular with youngsters, just above the knee?

Should we even get into belt discussion? I just picture a young men following Kim on a leash made out of that same belt
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:26 PM

Shoes are the most important thing. You can go out and buy a T-shirt or underwear pretty easily and cheaply, but not shoes. You need shoes you've had plenty of experience with - long walking experience - and at least 2 pr. Even a trusted pair can cause irritation or a blister worn day after day, so you need to be able to alternate.

Years ago when we were in grad school, my husband and I spent 11 wks. in Europe on an open itinerary - not quite back-packing and hostels but really on the cheap. He took only one pair of shoes, some that were made for his feet by a hippie shoemaker in Chapel Hill. With leather soles that wore through in about 3 weeks. We tried finding shoes in Spain and Italy but he wears size 12 and the shoe salesmen just shook their heads sadly. We felt like refugees from the Depression as we kept covering the holes with cardboard. Not till we got to Denmark, where a Danish friend took us to a local clog maker, did my husband get a pair of shoes. Even if your feet aren't hard to fit, you don't want to be breaking a pair of shoes in on a trip. Two pair are essential in case something happens to one.

(BTW, the clogs were very comfortable - I got a pair as well - and my husband continued to wear his when we got home. But there was a stability problem. This was the early '70s when bralessness first hit the scene and my husband kept falling off the sidewalks and turning his ankle as he walked along staring at the bouncing coeds. But that's a whole 'nother story.)
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi!

Thanks for the replys. I am going to be staying in an apartment for one month in northern italy. I am doing a study abroad. Most of the students said they wear jeans when they do study abroads because it is the most comfortable when I am in class everyday.

I noticed that some of you didn't think I should buy new clothes. Unfortunetly (or not) I must because I have been on a major diet and have lost 25 pounds so most of my clothes don't fit. :0)
Thanks!
Kimberley
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM

Kim- Have you tried all of this stuff on? There have been a lot of helpful recommendations, but it comes down to you wearing the clothes.

As a general rule, I will not pack any single garment that can only be worn with one other thing. Everything must have at least 2 partnering possibilities, ideally 4 or so.

Example: I start out with a pair of jeans, a pair of black pants, and one pair of brown trousers. The jeans and blacks look great with almost every top I have, but the browns only work with one. The browns must go. Then I take a look at the shirt. If I think that it looks great with the blacks but not so good with the jeans, then it must go because it only has one pant partner.

That is how I pare everything down once I get the pile started. It is really helpful with undergarments, too. Exmaple: you have 3 panties, 3 thongs, and some bikinis. But you try things on and realize that all of your bottoms are of the tight, sexy nature and panties make them look silly. What to do? Ditch the panties! Same with dark bras if you only have light colored tops and strapless bras if it is fall and all you are taking has sleeves.

It is really amazing when you put things to the test.

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but if you plan on shopping while you are there, then you should not worry too much about what you have with you upon arrival.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are staying in a flat there is likely a washing machine in the apartment or in the bldg. If so, you can cut your list waaaaaaay back.

But even if there is no laundry facility, you could still cut it back quite a bit to something like this:

3 "bottoms" -- i.e. capris, jeans (1 pair at most), slacks, skirts. Pick three bottoms in neutral colors -- one of which you'll be wearing on the plane. (You could squeeze in a fourth "bottom" - but your flexibility/wardrobe stretching comes w/ the tops. Fewer bottoms but all that go w/ all of your tops.)

6 tops -- mixture of Tee's and shirts - maybe one more.

1 cardigan sweater

3 pr of socks

Underwear - 4 pair of panties 2 or 3 bras.

NO stockings!

PJs/robe

swim suit/cover up
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:34 PM

Good grief!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:38 PM

kimknight - congrats on your weight loss!!! I lost 25 lbs a couple of years ago and it's amazing what doesn't fit any more. I'd pack for a week or two then buy new stuff while you're in Italy. Then your weight loss will mean even more. Everytime you wear something you got in Italy, you'll remember the lost weight and not gain it back.

Keep up the good work!!!!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:39 PM

janisj- that is generally what I end up with, though I always take 2 swimsuits.

Also, a sarong is an incredibly versatile garment and can be used as a towel if you are on the beach. Just dry off in the sun on your sarong, then wear it home.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:51 PM

claire,

I'm packing for a trip to Nevis and Aruba next weekend - Please come and help me pack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -